The adventure begins on the BT7

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
The adventure begins on the BT7 on our 1960 Austin Healey 3000 2+2. I brought the car home in a snow storm hope that is not a bad omen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1587.jpg    66.2 KB
IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg    61.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1588.jpg    63.8 KB
Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
Now so many questions? Who are the best suppliers to buy parts from, quality of parts and easy to work with. I hope to remove the engine this week, what is the best place to hook the chain for pulling, I could use the generator bracket for the front but where on the rear of the engine? I assume Carbs off, distributor out, leave the intake on?

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Ken,
The workshop manual shows the engine being lifted out using the two studs that are used to retain the rocker cover. Remove the rocker cover. Make a couple of "L" brackets and drill a 3/8" hole in each one so they can be mounted onto the studs with a couple of 3/8 fine thread nuts. The long side of the "L" brackets should have a hole in it to allow the attachment of a lifting chain.
Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ken,

The snow isn't the bad omen, buying the car is. Your first purchase, as suggested by Peter, should be a Bentley's Workshop Manual, it's expensive but will pay for itself many times over. I hope for your sake it came with a garage full of parts.

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
The car went to a body shop 34 years ago, all the outside body parts are painted. The body man said I could come and look around the shop for some of the small parts, door handles, trunk hinges, and headlights.

Attachments:
IMG_1573.jpg    40.9 KB
IMG_1573.jpg

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ken,

The good news is most of what you're missing, and you're missing a lot(complete interior for example), is available aftermarket. I'd take that up on his offer to clean out his shop though. From what I can see the one thing you want look for is the windshield assembly, the windshield posts will be one of the hardest things to replace if you can't find the originals.

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
I do have the complete windshield and some of the interior.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Hi Ken,

This is how we do it.......
and one of those angling devices makes the job a lot easier too.

It may behoove you to check out this site:

http://lbcdigital.com/

Good luck,
the other Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 07:07 PM by petnatcar.

Attachments:
Engine on Pick.jpg    50.6 KB
Engine on Pick.jpg

Engine on floor.jpg    54.6 KB
Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
Peter, which bolts on the head are you using? the two studs that are used to retain the rocker cover that Rusty 1c said? Thanks for the help

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Ken,

No I didn't use the Valve Cover studs.

Any of the Rocker Shaft studs will support that engine as you can see,
all 728 pounds of it with the Gearbox and Overdrive.

Here's a page from the Workshop Manual to give you a better idea.

Peter

Attachments:
engine 3.jpeg    78 KB
engine 3.jpeg

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
Thanks Peter

Scottm57 Avatar
Scottm57 Scott M
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
And Ken, don't overlook what was said about how much the motor and trans assembly weighs ! That 728lbs is real and no joke! Make sure you have a good motor stand that you can side mount block. At least one with 4 wheels. As the 6 cylinder block is long, and best side mounted using the motor mount bolt holes.
Watch your toes!
Goodluck!

Scott in Vegas
Go Knights!

Scottm57

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Scott,
I had good luck with one of these engine stands, just make sure you use Grade 8 bolts.
(Disregard that light blue engine paint, it's still a Healey engine.

Attachments:
Engine-Left Side.jpg    63.1 KB
Engine-Left Side.jpg

Triumph05 Ken Mutch
USA, IA, USA   USA
Thanks, I do have the engine out, the head is off and checking out the lower end. The Healey has 76,773 miles, looks to be a standard bore. I will mic the crank and check the bearings, I also plan to have harden seats put in the head. I do have a question the top of the piston is marked ID25 not sure what that is, any idea?

Attachments:
IMG_1672.jpg    55 KB
IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg    62.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links