Throttle cable conversion

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

scullion John Cole
Hants, Please select, UK   GBR
Hi everyone. On my BJ8 I've so much slack on my throttle linkage the garage suggest I go to a cable conversion - due to the difficulty of replacing the link bushes with the engine in situ. I'm thinking of the Dennis Welch cable conversion but whilst there's info on the caburretor fixing end via pictures I can find nothing on the pedal end either by the footwell or by the engine bay rhs. I'd be grateful if anyone could furnish explanatory pictures of how this end fixes!
Happy Christmas
John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brims49 Andrew Brims
Peachland, BC, Canada   CAN
John , you may be right to persue a DW part. The best I can advise is to google MossMotors to view their diagrams page. From MM.com go to A-H, then Shop by Category: then Engine Performance, and BJ7-8 Engine Controls. I suspect that the problem lies with your throttle shaft bushings where the shaft crosses above the bell housing, a job not easily undertaken with engine installed So try everything else for slack first, including the pedal box bushings. Good luck

brims49 Andrew Brims
Peachland, BC, Canada   CAN
Further to earlier comments, call A HSpares who will have a comprehensive parts supply for your needs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozhealey Avatar
ozhealey Tony P
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
John,

I’m sure you will find a suitable cable system based on the advice above, however it is possible to keep the original and perfectly suitable throttle system if you so desire.

I recently replaced the bushings (using the moss replacement and in my opinion improved white bushes) on the cross shaft and rebuilt my system back to original spec with the engine installed and while a bit awkward, it was not particularly difficult and did not take too much time. The result is a very responsive and nice pedal with no slop whatsoever.

What is did have to do to manage the job more easily was to remove the seats and tunnel cover and complete the job from inside the car with the assistance of my 9 year old and a mirror.

Cheers
Tony

mgtf328 Avatar
mgtf328 Alan Jones
Frampton, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
I sympathise with you and I don't think anyone answered your question. I haven't made this mod but I've thought about it. DW don't seem to supply a full kit or even instructions as to how to complete and fit the kit. They leave it up to the purchaser to design and fabricate some kind of bracket to fix the cable end to the side of the car at the throttle end. I've done a little research on the net on this and it seems to me there have been varying degrees of success with these set ups. I think you ought to now as well that you may well need to take the carbs off to fit a lever on the throttle shaft so the shaft can be pulled from the engine side. Have a look at the attached: -

http://www.healey6.com/Technical/MyHealeyHistory.pdf

http://valvechatter.us/?p=6497

Let us know how you get on!

AJ

bbh Andy S
Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK   GBR
You might find some additional info here: .... http://healeys.proboards.com/thread/154/throttle-cable-conversion

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links