Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

classic-steve Steve D
Warwick, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Gentlemen
Thanks for the clarification. I now have to decide whether to put it back on the car. It would have previously been on the car since 1962 or thereabouts. The car was taken off the road in 1976 having been thrashed, stored in a barn and then back on the road in 2010
cheers
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1965 Land Rover Series IIA "Mrs. Merdle"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Louise"
I recently saw what looks like a definitive answer as to where most VdP-style valve covers came from here in the States.

A recent Bring a Trailer auction featured late BJ8 restored in 2000, and the restoration parts list for that car listed a Moss Motors part number for the replaced valve cover, Part Number 852-100, which then sold for $220.00. The current part at Moss shares the same part number, but is a different design, with bright polished finish, an integral quick-fill cap. It doesn't have the two raised flats for the Austin and valve clearance settings embossed plates / stickers.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Good morning everyone. I was browsing around the other day and found these. The guy is still producing them, a bit expensive though.
Pete

Here is his contact info.
Have a look at my web page <healeyray.com> . The six cylinder cover is $380 plus $30 ( U.S. ) shipping. Send a check made to Ray Juncal for $410 to the address on the web site and I'll send one right out to you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0062.jpg    43.1 KB
IMG_0062.jpg

Htimsc Avatar
Htimsc Gold Member Chris Smith
Portola Valley, USA   USA
Hello Pete, you may have noticed when we were comparing notes on our cars the day we met, but I have the very same cover. I’ve often wondered where it came from and who is the craftsman who made it, and while not an original AH design and thus would not pass close muster, it is (to my eyes) beautiful. I think it fits nicely in the category of practical “eye candy”. If anyone is considering that design, I can vouch for every inch and centimeter of it - I’ve polished it enough... It is worth every cent of the investment.

Attachments:
99BB7C23-00F0-45A7-82AF-A523C37184F5.jpeg    64.9 KB
99BB7C23-00F0-45A7-82AF-A523C37184F5.jpeg

Htimsc Avatar
Htimsc Gold Member Chris Smith
Portola Valley, USA   USA
Another thought (a dangerous thing for me...!):

There are so many contributors that have great knowledge and background (like most in this string of exchanges) and with Pete’s surprise of the bespoke maker of valve covers (and, if you check out the website, the lead to the steering wheel maker) it set me thinking of how many more of these there must be.

Has anyone anywhere ever figured out how to collect, verify and put together a list of designers/manufacturers/suppliers of all of these hard to source, don’t always show up on web searches, pieces and parts?? I go back to Perth, Australia regularly, and I’m surprised at the extent of AH vendors there. It has to be per capita one of the most robust AH communities and markets in the world. And all kinds of interesting suppliers (and characters). A list would be a great source of information for those restoring, or just adding to their existing car/s.

Just a thought.

zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
Great idea, Chris. I have a folder of links to a lot of parts and services vendors, but it took a lot of searching over a few years. Being able to create an easily accessible library

Currently, some AH marque regional club web sites have links or resource pages with that kind of information. Same is true for many owners who keep links on their own car pages. Once they go that road, the challenge for all of them is maintaining current links and eliminating dead ones.

This forum has a Parts and Accessories page for sponsored (paid) advertisement, and a Links Directory - Members Services section that features the products and services of Forum members.

brims49 Andrew Brims
Peachland, BC, Canada   CAN
Chris, you will find a series of lists at
Healey6.com. Which may answer some of your questions. This could always be added to or start another which reflects the Perth area. I was likewise amazed in the Ballerat area how many services for restoration are available in these old mining towns.

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Alwyn,

I remember seeing the VdP alloy cover being offered by the parts house in the '60s and often wondered its real purpose and benefits. I was never convinced it would be for added cooling as the steel cover had thin walls and would allow heat transfer more quickly to the ambient engine compartment air stream (of a moving Healey) as apposed to the thicker alloy cover (no fins) acting as a heat sink and holding heat longer. Your suggestion that the more ridged construction of the alloy cover is a definite benefit in retaining good gasket positioning during multiple quick cover removals (during a race) makes sense if the cover also provided a broader lip (then the steel cover) for gasket seating and being sealed (glued) to.

Does the alloy cover have a broader gasket lip?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Ashley James Avatar
Stroud, UK   GBR
I use one of these VDP rocker covers and mine doesn’t use the standard gasket. Instead it uses a neoprene U channel moulding, which makes it easier to remove and replace.

The works Healey’s had the same but made from magnesium.

zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
Thanks Ashley. Interesting point about the magnesium. The last gasket I bought was a silicone aftermarket one that Moss Motors USA sells. They make a couple of profiles - flat/concave and flat/flat. I got the flat/flat one. The instruction was to glue it to the cover with RTV silicone and let that cure while setting the cover on a flat bench. It's seals well, and as you say, can be easily removed and replaced.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links