Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The 3000 Forum

What did you do with your Big Healey today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pkoot Avatar
pkoot Peter K
Alkmaar, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Our holiday this year: driving with our Healey from Holland to Italy via Germany and Austria. Back home via Switzerland, France, Luxembourg and Belgium.

Last friday via the Timmelsjoch between Austria and Italy. 2509 meters high and a lot of snow. But very nice wetter at the top and we were not alone. 3 German Thriumphs just arrived a couple of minutes before we did.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
342B61DA-780D-4B74-947C-4D19778E692D.jpeg    59.8 KB
342B61DA-780D-4B74-947C-4D19778E692D.jpeg

9232AC3A-ADD0-4726-A8A6-41A5AAB88B98.jpeg    34.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
A5CC45DA-07B0-4BFD-B8A5-51A6552A667F.jpeg    22.2 KB
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
The Golden Gate Austin Healey club had a great run this past weekend with 15 cars participating. We drove south up a beautiful canyon via Mines road, from Livermore, California and stopped at a local watering hole called "The Junction". From there we drove west further up into the mountains and paid a visit to the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton. The club provided a box lunch for everyone. The weather was perfect for touring, clear and cool in the mid 70's. Spent about 2 hours there and then drove down the mountain to San Jose'. 19 miles of twists and hairpin turns perfect for a Healey with a little tire squeal every now and then. The wife said it was like an "E" ticket ride at Disney Land. I'm sure many of us older folks remember what an "E" ticket ride meant at Disney Land when we were kids!! Anyway about 180 mile round trip and fun for all.

Attachments:
IMG_0052[1].JPG    67.3 KB
IMG_0052[1].JPG

IMG_0053[1].JPG    29.4 KB
San Jose, CA, USA   USA
Not technically 'today,' but I just finished a 5,500 mile, 21 day road trip in my BJ8. We started in Santa Clara, proceeded to Kernville for the night and then through Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South and North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Oregon and back to California's Central Valley.

This may be a first for a Big Healey:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-18 09:55 AM by Bob Spidell.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pkoot Avatar
pkoot Peter K
Alkmaar, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Wetter?? I mean weather of course.

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Decided to take the '65 BJ8 out for a Sunday drive. My wife and I visited many beautiful gardens in the Willamette Valley battle the 90+ degree temp. Fredrick, my big Healey didn't miss a beat even sitting months without being exercised. I think it was the half tank of 110 Sunuco race fuel I treated him too.

Attachments:
Three Healey Garage.jpg    49.7 KB
Three Healey Garage.jpg

ianchubb Avatar
ianchubb Gold Member Ian Chubb
Flockton, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Just completed a 1307 mile trip from the UK to Sorrento on the Almalfi coast, via Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, and Switzerland, over 4 Aloine passes including Stelvio which is a great climb to just over 3000m. Completed it successfully with my mate and his Sunbeam Tiger literally which had only just finished a full restoration by about an hour, talk about a shake down drive! Joined a group of friends in Sorrento for a few days and then drove them to Florence (another 300 miles) when they were picked up by a transporter for their journey home.
We both took so many spare parts there was not much room for anything else but other than 2 pints of oil nothing was required. Very proud of USY 704!

Attachments:
1F29DF76-AC04-4690-BE09-5998E8A510A2.jpeg    70.3 KB
1F29DF76-AC04-4690-BE09-5998E8A510A2.jpeg

4B7AA43B-7604-4E36-A423-343610E0282C.jpeg    64.2 KB
B9431C07-677D-49CC-9778-BEC0F008C65A.jpeg    71.9 KB
28592C41-6AE2-445C-9715-6FC0AC974073.jpeg    54.7 KB
JDHS Jon Stock
Cross in Hand, UK   GBR
Collected my BJ7 from A J Barnard, where I had new shock absorbers all round, new 72 spoke wires, new hubs, new spinners and new tyres. Taking my daughter to her wedding on Saturday in it.

donaldvf Avatar
donaldvf Silver Member Donald Fregeau
FORTUNA, CA, USA   USA
Nice trip through the redwoods today (a short drive from our house) with a picnic lunch at the beach. In Prairie Creek park a young man from Belgium asked me if the car was a Triumph. I said "no it is an Austin Healey". "3000" he replied excitedly. "Yes", I said "a 3000 MKII" "Really", he replied. "Yes", I said, "are you familiar with them?" "No, only on Google". He told me he had never seen one but had heard of them and asked if he could take some photographs. As he took pictures he looked at me and said, "look at me. I am in the most beautiful forest in the world and I am excited about a car". We both laughed.

https://www.facebook.com/donaldvf/videos/10155555591777791/?l=2290920787485303618

1963 Austin Healey BJ7 purchased in 1969. Recent frame-up restoration.

Attachments:
PCHealey (1 of 1).jpg    69.1 KB
PCHealey (1 of 1).jpg

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Hello everyone.
This past Saturday July 14, we had a Club run through some of the San Francisco bay area regional parks that are filled with beautiful redwood trees. We then made our way to the USS Hornet Aircraft carrier that docked at the old Alameda Naval Air Station. About 18 Healey's made the run which took about an hour and a half. We arrived at the USS Hornet museum which is dedicated as a "National Historic Site" The group sat down an had lunch then we were free to wander about this beautiful ship. It was commissioned in 1943 and finally de-commissioned in I believe 1990. It was the ship that was used for the Apollo 11 & 12 recovery . There were many aircraft on board both in the hanger deck and on the flight deck, it was a great day to spend with friends and the weather was crystal clear and about 75 deg. Afterward we drove to a local brewery and partook of some of their craft beers. A great day was had by all!!
Peter

Attachments:
IMG_0078[1].JPG    40.1 KB
IMG_0078[1].JPG

IMG_0728[1].JPG    54.3 KB
layaj2 Andy Lay
Bisley, Surrey, UK   GBR
Had a great run through the Surrey and Sussex countryside to the Goodwood Breakfast Club Classic Car Sunday. You get to drive along the race track (slowly), park up on it or in the paddocks and get to wander around admiring the superb machinery on display. There must have been at least 10 AH 100s/3000s only outnumbered I reckon by Jaguar E-Types/XKEs. Another very hot day of this freaky English summer at around 90F. Despite the early start - cars begin to arrive after 0630 hours, it's well worth it every time. A nice little pre-cursor to the Goodwood Revival next month.

Here's a few pics from the website:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-coverage/breakfast-club/2018/8/a-stroll-round-the-paddocks-at-classic-car-sunday/

donaldvf Avatar
FORTUNA, CA, USA   USA
Shared a nice drive down the Avenue of the Giants with my wife this weekend. We dated in this car and have driven all over California and Baja Mexico for the past 49 years. Still, the only thing I do which makes me feel 21 again.

Attachments:
healeyAvenue.jpg    66.1 KB
healeyAvenue.jpg

healeyavenueof the giants.jpg    56.7 KB
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Sounds like a great trip. Congradulations on keeping both your wife and the big Healey.

donaldvf Avatar
FORTUNA, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Doug. I have been blessed. My wife has as big of an emotional investment as I. I do feel 21 again sometimes as we cruise down some beautiful lane. That is, until I have to lift myself out of the cockpit.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP.

Attachments:
FUEL PUMP2.jpg    85.8 KB
FUEL PUMP2.jpg

ChrisIoW Chris W
Isle of Wight, UK   GBR
Well no pictures from me, but I went for a nice run across the Isle of Wight. Picked up a new rattle after crushing the silencer a bit leaving Brook Chine car park or the Sun Inn car park. However with a lovely new pair of HS6s from Burlen recently, my BJ7 is running cooler- never over 160 farenheit (whatever that is to a child of the metric system) idling at about 550 rpm reliably whatever the conditions, and generally being a joy to drive. And way more economical than HD8s on a bj7 cam and manifold.
It’s not the prettiest, but it goes and stops, and with halogen headlights and an alternator, it’s just as fun at night!
Yesterday I went to the IoW classic car show. There were some very nice sprites or various ages, but no big Healeys. There were well over a hundred classics of all marques and sizes, so well done to the organisers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links