AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BJ8Sundsvall Avatar
BJ8Sundsvall Peter Bjertung
SUNDSVALL, Västernorrland, Sweden   SWE
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Red Devil"
Wow! Thank you all for many good and interesting points, suggestions and opinions in this topic. All great in their own ways and they have all inspired me! (And confused me winking smiley ) Will I keep the precious red. Will I add white fields on the side (the easiest to add if so), or will I go for BRG or maybe the ice blue/white, or the orignial white.... Lots of thinking, but no hurry. smiling smiley
Anyway, thank you all for your inputs!

BR
/Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Color choice is really a person thing, it comes down to what you want or what you can live with. If you stay original(for investment)it may not be your first choice but something you can live with. If you go with what you want there's a possibility it could affect the value of the car. My car was born black/w red interior, when I redid it I went red over white with tan interior which for '58 is nonstandard. I didn't care because that's what I wanted, although I did stay in the family of colors, I don't think the value has been affected.

It's also possible to go completely off the color charts and get away with it, if it's done right. Once at a Moss Motors car show there was a '59 or '60 it was painted dark metallic gun metal gray with chrome 72 spoke w/w and a black leather interior, totally non-stock, it was a show stopper, people couldn't take their eyes off it, they were walking past concourse restorations to get a look at this car. I heard that he got really good money for it later on.

Doug, when you say your favorite one, are you talking about the car or the gal!

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 208129 by sliproc Color choice is really a person thing, it comes down to what you want or what you can live with. If you stay original(for investment)it may not be your first choice but something you can live with. If you go with what you want there's a possibility it could affect the value of the car. My car was born black/w red interior, when I redid it I went red over white with tan interior which for '58 is nonstandard. I didn't care because that's what I wanted, although I did stay in the family of colors, I don't think the value has been affected.

It's also possible to go completely off the color charts and get away with it, if it's done right. Once at a Moss Motors car show there was a '59 or '60 it was painted dark metallic gun metal gray with chrome 72 spoke w/w and a black leather interior, totally non-stock, it was a show stopper, people couldn't take their eyes off it, they were walking past concourse restorations to get a look at this car. I heard that he got really good money for it later on.

Doug, when you say your favorite one, are you talking about the car or the gal!

Hah...I must say it's a tough choice, but I love my Florida Green racer, so in this case it's the gal. From what I've heard she's a real hot shoe as well as a real hottie! winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1965 Land Rover Series IIA "Mrs. Merdle"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Louise"
For better or worse, preferred colors and colors that get the most interest at auctions are a matter of shifting fashion and, perhaps, regional preference. Metallic Golden Beige with Red Or Beige leather interior seems to be a lucrative choice in U.S. auctions recently. It seems to connote more sophisticated "touring" rather than "sporting" usage.

Healey Blue and Healey Blue / Ivory White are very popular. Colorado Red is a popular choice for people who want to suggest "factory rally" style or build a rally tribute car. The next question is two-tone (shows off body contours, can look a little fussy), or a single color. All of this to be coordinated with preferred or existing interior color...

The best way to study color choices might be to go to Google, enter "Austin Healey 3000", and click on the Images tab.

Me, I had always wanted a BRG one...Even here, it should be noted that there are two shades of "British Racing Green" often seen.

There's another thread that started recently...and an interesting link for visualization: http://www.austinhealey.com/catalog/3000mk3/3003cat.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 12:04 PM by zayante.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links