1275 and Disc Brakes ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A567 Alfred Nesbitt
Buckhannon, W.Va., USA   USA
Is it absolutely necessary to switch over to Disc Brakes on a Bugeye if you upgrade to a 1275 Engine?

Thank You

Al

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Nope.

In reply to # 208663 by A567 Is it absolutely necessary to switch over to Disc Brakes on a Bugeye if you upgrade to a 1275 Engine?

Thank You

Al

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
But the differece in performance and breaking and being able to drive on real roads and modern speeds. Add a 5 speed as well. I’ve done all three recently to Bugsy IV a one owner CA 60 BE I purchased 3 years ago. I’ll never go back.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
And install a 3.9:1 diff.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Bottom line, you are not adding that much extra weight so unless you find yourself driving faster/more aggressive than before then you do not need to upgrade. However, I find they make the car much more predictable and enjoyable.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
A 3.9 diff lowers engine rpm's at cruising speed. But if you're running a 948 you won't like it unless all you do is cruise.

Properly set up drum brakes will stop your car on real roads just as well as disc brakes. They don't have the fade resistance or recover as well when wet, but they stop you just as well. Modern speeds? You think I didn't drive my Bugeye at modern speeds when I bought it 50 years ago? LOL We drove at speeds well above the speed limit back then too. And I lived in southern California and carved up the mountain roads regularly. And California has real mountains. The one closest to my house was Mt. Baldy, 10,500 feet. Guess what? That same rust free California Bugeye that I've owned for over 50 years still has drum brakes.

Now the race car - well that's a different story. smileys with beer

MartinWeb Avatar
MartinWeb Martin Webster
Guildford, Surrey, UK   GBR
Drums are absolutely no problem at all. I’ve been running a 1275 in my Frog for nearly 40 years and it is driven as it should be. I have never experienced any fade or adverse characteristics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-26 06:56 PM by MartinWeb.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
If done right and adjusted right. Bugsy came to me with a new set of wheel cylinders, new shoes all around, new master and I played trying to get the fronts adjusted properly. After a month I gave up and converted to Front discs with rear backing plates so I could use the later rear wheel cylinders and a 3/4" Master. No issues adjusting and triple the stopping power than what I had. And yes I may have needed to let the new shoes "bed" themselves in, but it was too scary driving and not feeling like I had brakes. Yes IMHO, Your opinions may vary.

RE a 3.9 yes indeed but not with a 948. With a Datsun 210 5 Speed the 3.9 makes 1st gear more usable, You aren't shifting 50' after you let out the clutch.And I can cruise at 70 running about 3,400 rpm instead of 5,000 rpm. 65 vs 44 hp you do the math. No it's not necessary to do any upgrades. Some like a BE bone stock, I prefer a bit more power and an extra gear. And adding an extra gear does not come cheap. But I'm convinced money well spent.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links