3 windshield wipers

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Johnathan Johnathan Iturbe
Ontario, CA, USA   USA
I just bought a 1969 Austin Healey sprite without any paperwork. Seller told me it was a 69 because it has 3 windshield wipers and that is 69 specific only. I have no paperwork to prove any year. The California DMV says it is a 72. There are red side markers on both quarter panels that have a stamp that reads 68. Also, there are clear reverse lenses next to the tail lights. The VIN is HAN9U85121G. Can anyone tell for sure what year it is?
PS. I know it's really beat up and ugly but I love it and can't wait to get it going again. Thank you for any help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Screenshot_20181226-193117.jpg    32.1 KB
Screenshot_20181226-193117.jpg

Screenshot_20181226-193039.jpg    23.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Screenshot_20181226-193620.jpg    25.3 KB
Screenshot_20181226-193734.jpg    30 KB
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hello Johnathan,

Your Sprite was built in the Sept. or Oct. of 1969 based on the VIN number. The DMV lists it as a '72 because that's probably when it was first sold. But it's a '69.

All Sprites and Midgets sold in the USA after late '69 had three wipers per the Federal government's motor vehicle safety standards.

Johnathan Johnathan Iturbe
Ontario, CA, USA   USA
Thank you refisk! I really appreciate your time and effort you took to help me. This clears up everything! Now to get the proper parts to restore.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links