65 Sprite brake bleeding issues

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bmwdon Don Johnson
Evansville, IN, USA   USA
New 3/4 M/C from Moss installed in effort to get back the brakes " I used to have". Now can't get the brakes to "pump up" enough to start the bleeding process.any advise?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Joe Schlosser Joseph Schlosser
Chester, NY, USA   USA
Start with cracking/ loosening the line(s) at the MC. This will allow the air to escape as you get the MC working. There is a lot of air that needs to be moved out.
If this does not work my method with a new or rebuilt MC is to bench bleed.
Clamp it in a vice or to your bench and work the piston back and forth till you get fluid out of the port(s).

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Bleeder Screw is not in the top bleed port. Air gets captured there and bleeding will not remove it. Make sure line is in top port of the Slave cylinder.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Make sure the brake push rod is adjusted right so that the ports in your master cylinder get uncovered.

Kurt

Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
Refer to Colin Dodd’s - Sprite Parts - helpful guide. Definitely bench bleed before instal.

http://spriteparts.com.au/tech/bleeding.html

Good luck
Mike

Bmwdon Don Johnson
Evansville, IN, USA   USA
Thanks for the response It was helpful and I was successful. Patience was my best tool.
But, since I didn't bench bleed, I DID do this tho:
Using a screwdriver, I "pumped" the brake pedal from under the hood, And loosened, tightened the brake line til I got just a little fluid pushing out, Then I used the old fashioned 2 person system to bleed. End up with a good petal >
Clutch was the usual pain in the A#@, but I think I got the last bubble out of it as well.
First time on the forum. Most helpful.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links