AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pop Avatar
Pop Mike Ryan
Red Lion, PA, USA   USA
1929 Ford Model A "Ethel"
1976 MG MGB "Ethel II"
Anyone ever taken their fuel tanks to have them cleaned or sealed? The 65 I'm working on right now had about 1-1/2 gal of really stale gas in it when it was delivered and once I got a looksee inside there's some surface rust all around. I found a place to get rid of the stale gas - lots of folks here, mostly garages, burn waste oil to heat their buildings. Those with 250 gal tanks will take 5 gal or less of old gas and dump it into their oil tans. But... haven't found anyone around here yet that does the cleaning or sealing. I did the cleaning and sealing on my 1929 Model A when I got it but don't want to attempt it here. Just don't have the room or ability I used to. Besides it might get me a bad listing in the condo newsletter next month.. LOL
Pop

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
There is a mess screen around the fuel pickup. Normal stuff that seals tanks clogs that screen

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

Pop Avatar
Pop Mike Ryan
Red Lion, PA, USA   USA
1929 Ford Model A "Ethel"
1976 MG MGB "Ethel II"
I plan on stripping it pretty much when I drop it. Want to give who ever I find to clean/seal it a naked tank. Gonna take a better look-see inside with the inspection camera once it's out too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mtn Sprite Layne M
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
Some old school radiator shops do it around here, Santa Cruz CA. Also there was a company in TX that did a complete exterior/interior forever coating, don’t know if they’re still around but I imagine a search will turn them up. Did a tank for me years ago.

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Eastwood sells a product to seal old tanks, if you cannot find anyone to do it for you. As has been mentioned, some radiator shops will clean and reseal, but sometimes hard to find one in your neck of the woods that will take this on. Good luck.

Mtn Sprite Layne M
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
My car had sat for years with gas in it when the po put it back on the road and I think just put gas in the tank. When I checked the tank out it looked terrible with about a 1/2” of sediment in the bottom and what looked like rust everywhere. I pulled it and cleaned it with 3 gallons of “chem clean” that had been used to varying degrees already by sloshing/sitting/sloshing draining and straining and repeating the process over three days. Turned out almost all of the “rust” were dried deposits and the tank was in good shape with no need to de-rust and coat.

Also, looking in the tank at the pickup it looks like it doesn’t come out without cutting the tank. As I recall it’s on the back side of a baffle from the fuel pkup/float access.

Also, my float leaked and a standard brass float by Bob Drake available at auto parts store snapped in perfect. Un-froze it and Put orig sending unit back in service.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links