Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The Sprite Forum

Basket Case 1960 Bugeye with Rust... Hell no.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Finally back in the garage and the fun begins again.

BG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180922_114012_resized.jpg    36 KB
20180922_114012_resized.jpg

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Your lucky. We had first frost of the winter in Glasgow Scotland this morning. Nothing like a cold garage on a Sunday morning!! Checking antifreeze.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
LOL... Still 100 degrees today... we're going to get to a frosty 32 one morning this winter and maybe a morning of snow.

Us desert rats love the winters...

BG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Still working on the Bugeye.. It seems like two steps forward... and three steps back!

When you get tired of one area of restoration.. there's plenty more to work on.

BG

Attachments:
front complete left.jpg    55.6 KB
front complete left.jpg

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
When I torqued the bolts to the correct value I put a spot of red paint on the to show I had done them.
You forget. So much to do.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Tks Westy... So much still to do on a such a small car... but having a lot of fun messing with it.

Any tricks to testing the coil? I've got three and not sure if any of them are good.

May need to find the driver's side fender support bracket that mounts to the radiator frame. If anyone has a spare PM me.

Thanks

BG

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Any suggestions on how to test this wiper motor or any wiper before it's installed?

Where do you land battery leads to see if it works at all?

Tks

BG

Attachments:
wiper.jpg    35.2 KB
wiper.jpg

Lars Schanz Lars-Christian Schanz
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany   DEU
Hi BG,

Your wiper motor comes with a park switch but it looks as if it had been a bit modified. Usually E is connected to the ground (which was positive on your car but might have been changed) 1 and 2 are connected to the wiper switch on the dash and directly to the negative pole respectively for the park switch. Make sure, that the plastic gear rotates with the copper contact on top pulling not pushing. You will find some Information
here and
here.

Best wishes
Lars

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Those are great videos... thanks.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Exhaust System...

Got all the pieces together and thought I had bought the correct "length" of pipe, but it's not long enough.

The pipe from the middle to the muffler/silencer is just short and no way around that parking brake rod.

Anyone else run into this? I'm going on a search for some 1 7/16" OD pipe to make an extension.

Two steps forward and three steps back. Fun, fun.

BG

Attachments:
20181125_160031.jpg    29 KB
20181125_160031.jpg

20181125_155936.jpg    38.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I have no idea but is there any chance the pipe is backwards and needs a bit of weight on the springs to raise the rear axle out of the way?

Adrian

smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
Somewhere in the back of my memory bank I remember the exhaust pipe almost straight from the engine area back to the muffler. Yes, put the wheels on and let it down on the ground. Note how the diff connection with the drive shaft tunnel is mis-alighned? Diff has to go up, up.
Good luck, Scott in CA

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Good spot Scott. I'll try it tomorrow. Seems to make sense. Thanks

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Yes... I see the rebound straps are in place but the diff does look very low in the photo. Some of the new straps for MGB's are basically rubber bands. Maybe some of the sprite ones are the same?

Adrian

smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
Don't let the axle hang by the rebound straps!! Most aftermarket ones as Adrian said above, will stretch or break. Always jack the car under the axle. I can't tell you how many straps I went through before I learned my lesson!
Scott in CA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links