Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
AHExp

The Sprite Forum

Basket Case 1960 Bugeye with Rust... Hell no.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I seem to have heavy stitched canvass straps on my Bugeye. They must have come from Strapping Lad. I think they could hold the axle from hanging indefinitely. You might have a look for a set of those. The straps should be able to stop the axle dropping so low... at least for a while.

Adrian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 190218 by BigGeorge67 More than likely mechanical. I can't find a rebuild kit and the diaphram costs almost as much as a new pump... about $50.00 US.

Why? Do you recommend I step away from the mechanical for a reason?

BG

Life will be easier with an electric pump , we see a lit of the mech. pump guys suffering with vapor lock issues.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
At Speed Racer... sorry for the late reply... been off lately.

Will consider the electric pump for sure.

Learned a hard lesson today when I was about to start the engine... I trusted a 40 year Brit mechanic to go thru my Rib case so it would be correct... and not leak.

Guess what? The front cover inside the bell housing is leaking like the Titanic. My guess is he just assumed it was good to go, and never resealed it with a new gasket.

He's since retired ... and moved away to Alaska so I can't chase him down and vent.

Now #$%%##@... I have to pull the engine and transmission all back out... and not very happy about that.

Do it yourself has been my motto... so this one hurts.

BG

Attachments:
20181229_164117_resized.jpg    52.3 KB
20181229_164117_resized.jpg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I just went through the same thing with a trans put together by a well known and respected mechanic. On my trans though the front cover scroll seal is worn out. It will leak a quart of oil in 25 miles. I'm fixing it with a new cover with a proper oil seal and new input shaft.

In reply to # 207955 by BigGeorge67 At Speed Racer... sorry for the late reply... been off lately.

Will consider the electric pump for sure.

Learned a hard lesson today when I was about to start the engine... I trusted a 40 year Brit mechanic to go thru my Rib case so it would be correct... and not leak.

Guess what? The front cover inside the bell housing is leaking like the Titanic. My guess is he just assumed it was good to go, and never resealed it with a new gasket.

He's since retired ... and moved away to Alaska so I can't chase him down and vent.

Now #$%%##@... I have to pull the engine and transmission all back out... and not very happy about that.

Do it yourself has been my motto... so this one hurts.

BG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Where do you get a new cover? I checked all the usual suspects and found nothing.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
https://www.ahspares.co.uk/sprite/gearbox/. Have you tried AH Spares in the UK. They are shut down until Wednesday but they have just about everything you need. Click on diagram to see if what you want is there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 10:36 AM by rhodyspit75.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
It's actually an old cover that has been modified with a seal - from Winners Circle.

https://www.spridget.com/product-page/front-cover-transmission-with-seal-a-series

In reply to # 207982 by BigGeorge67 Where do you get a new cover? I checked all the usual suspects and found nothing.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks.

Ordering one and hope they can ship tomorrow. Never want to go through this episode again.

BG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links