Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

shalleck Avatar
shalleck Steve H
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
I switched to a forward tilt bonnet. Now I'm trying to find a plug to cover the hole for the handle without success.
The inside diameter is 5/8, but the head size of the plug needs to be almost 1 1/4 to cover the entire hole.
What have others used?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190108_171244.jpg    20.1 KB
20190108_171244.jpg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I use electric box hole plugs at work and you could use one of them to cover the hole. I used one on my '72 Midget to cover the antenna hole in the trunk. You can get them in a number of different sizes at Home Depot or Lowes or any decent hardware store.

Attachments:
C99B43DC-A926-4439-99F6-0D03C583E26E.jpeg    20.1 KB
C99B43DC-A926-4439-99F6-0D03C583E26E.jpeg

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Or my thought with Bugsy is to stick a handle back in there and figure out a way to fasten it, Also I'm not sire if it would hit the ground with bonnet opened, Bugsy does not have a lot of extra clearance there. Now I just looked at my bonnet and it does not have that indentation around the handle that you show Rick. Perhaps it was filled in with Bondo but I don't think so.. Now I must have the handle around here as Bugsy was rear hinged when I got him. Chrome not very good IIRC, A new one runs $75.00. As it is virtually unseen down there with forward tilt. I may just spray it with Chrome Paint and let it go. Another job for fettling stage after paint.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I just mounted my handle to make it look stock from the outside and it does not interfere with anything.
Rut

saaboat Bill Trench
South Salem, NY, USA   USA
Ditto.

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
I mounted the handle on mine also to have it original looking.
If by some chance you don't have the original handle you can use a MINI boot handle from the breakers as I did.....They look the same underneath where they are almost hidden.

Attachments:
IMG_0929.JPG    39 KB
IMG_0929.JPG

1960 BUGEYE SPRITE 001.JPG    52.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
You might try "upsizing" the hole with a step drill (they work great on sheetmetal)..then find an appropriate plug.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links