Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
Does anyone know where I could get this part. It goes between the headlight buckets.

Thanks Ernie.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
527A2093-03EA-4406-A890-1A8E286BE246.jpeg    40.6 KB
527A2093-03EA-4406-A890-1A8E286BE246.jpeg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
That's not a factory part. It must have been added by a previous owner for whatever reason.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Actually, both my bonnets have that brace. It sits above the radiator shroud and normally can't be seen in its entirety as shown in Ernie's picture. I'm guessing the rest of the shroud has been removed. I would think it fairly easy to reproduce though.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Really. It sure looks factory. These two pieces were spot welded to it to brace the lower valance.

Attachments:
B58CB25F-3EDC-4822-A426-FA563B8F20D0.jpeg    97.8 KB
B58CB25F-3EDC-4822-A426-FA563B8F20D0.jpeg

pixelsmithusa Avatar
This shows the brace in question with the side pieces Ernie shows removed.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Attachments:
IMAG3121.jpg    8 KB
IMAG3121.jpg

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Yes thanks Gerard, that’s it. I will probably end up repairing the pieces that I have. The only problem with reproducing it is there is and offset at each end. Like everything else on this bonnet it has been butchered. I just thought if I could get it then it would give me somewhere to start.

I think I’m going to drive out to Lime Rock Park tomorrow and watch the vintage races. I need a break from the stupid thing,

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Doh! Both of my Bugeyes have that part too - totally obscured by radiator shrouds installed by others. Sorry Ernie.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
In reply to # 204888 by refisk Doh! Both of my Bugeyes have that part too - totally obscured by radiator shrouds installed by others. Sorry Ernie.

No problem. You did have me hoping I could throw it away,

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
You could still throw it away. the finger smiley

The bonnet on the blue car in my avatar photo is front hinged and it flops around like you wouldn't believe. It takes two people or several trips around the car to get it seated and latched. Doesn't have a Gerard's Garage front hinge kit. That car has been a race car for it's entire life and has been well used. lol

In reply to # 204892 by rhodyspit75
In reply to # 204888 by refisk Doh! Both of my Bugeyes have that part too - totally obscured by radiator shrouds installed by others. Sorry Ernie.

No problem. You did have me hoping I could throw it away,

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
I need it to stabilize the valance. This thing has been hit all over and repaired. It’s a project well above my pay grade. I’m slowly getting there I think.

BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
AH Spares in UK have this part. AH Spares now have LED headlights and side lights for BEs

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since the simple pieces are the bad parts, I’ve decided to repair or make the new bracket and sides. I’ve already welded up the holes and straighten the bracket. Now I’ll make new side panels. I started out buying panels and I Quickly realized that I can make most of them in the time it takes to modify the bought ones to fit properly.
I just go to a sheet metal shop and pick up the material.

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Mine was a bit of a mess, so I just made up new bits from a sheet of tin.

Pete

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Excellent work! I am looking at this very same piece on my BE bonnet. Bent, twisted, tortured, broken welds, but otherwise very simple part, once you break it down. I try to remember that these bits were simply cut, shaped and spot-welded about 60 years ago, and much has happened to this bonnet before I took over this car. I want to eliminate all the wrinkles and get some new welds in there. Photos help a lot.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links