Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

61bugii Avatar
61bugii Kevin W
Paola, KS, USA   USA
Asking out to those who have a Bugeye forward tilt bonnet how you handled the headlight and signal wiring or not? Thx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Kevin,

Try a flat seven-pin trailer connection. Mount the female half on the inner guard for ease of access or down low on the chassis rail if you want to be discreet.

Roger

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
GM Weatherpack 6 Conductor Male / Female Plug with Pigtails.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjHvLWcpPbeAhU3_-MHHerlCfcYABASGgJ5bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoPBxCND6UNJ5jEDK7aKd-eCc&sig=AOD64_07la8D5B5qtCZMMlyVtmpApa-dPw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj-9a2cpPbeAhUJ0VMKHQYXDBYQ9aACCDQ&adurl=

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
61bugii Avatar
61bugii Kevin W
Paola, KS, USA   USA
Thanks Gents for the direction. Jim, just finished rebuilding 1275+.40 over I'm curious about Bugsy lV performance, what can I expect?

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Well I can say significantly faster than the hot rodded 948 w cam, headers, HS2 and a Cooper S Head. With a 5 speed and 3.9 rear end I can cruise comfortably at 80 and there is more to go if needed. You will like the difference. A 1098+.40 and a Shrock Supercharger + a few more goodies was being reeled in last week by Bugsy. And he had a 4 speed and stock rear end. It’s all good

Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -

Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
Kevin

When you get the wiring completed, please upload a photograph so that I can compare your work to mine. I did not need the trailer connector as the bonnet wiring seems to be long enough to mate with the rest of the wires from around the right inner fender area.

Ed Dingivan

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
The reason to put in a plug is so that you can easily remove the bonnet. When i had a front tilt on a BE I took it off regularly for maintenance. Could do it by myself but friends and wife came in handy.

Kurt

Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
Kurt

Thanks. I had so much "fun" putting it on in the first place that it never occurred to me that I may have to remove it at some time in the future. Most of my work is done solo so I have to come up with interesting ways to handle some of the projects.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Monk, take a look at what is used for a hardtop hoist in some of the Miata catalogs. I used a Eye Hook through bolted to unused fender mirror holes. Ropes on each side joinin center of bonnet to a house roof that goes up to a pulley attaches to a beam in the ceiling. Roe goes to a cleat so you can tie off once bonnet is hoisted up. In my case I added a 3:1 pulley System to make lifting easy. I am able to take bonnet on/off by myself .

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Ed, in addition to making it simpler to install and remove with either Weatherpack connector like I used or a trailer harness plug is that connecting up all 6 wires up by firewall on a 60 y.o. Harness is quite tedious to get everything reconnected and working right. My fabric covered wire loom is brittle, colors are faded, and simply falls apart to reveal under layer all in a black plastic sheath. Wires have lots of green and in my case a new harness will be installed after Bugsy goes in for paint in next few months. Old green oxidized connectors are not your friend for long term reliability.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links