AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bugeye Tires
  This topic is about my 1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
jameshodges James Hodges/A
Purcellville, VA, USA   USA
I'm currently running 175/70R13 on my 59 Bugeye. They seem fine with no rubbing problems. I am, however, thinking about either whitewalls or redlines. I am not finding 175/70R13 whitewall or redline tires. Having 13 inch rims does limit the availability of tires. So I am interested in what other Bugeye owners are using for such radials. I have read past forums on tires going back, but I am curious about whether anyone has had experience good or bad with the sizes of tires I am finding with either whitewalls or redlines. I intend to stick with my 13 inch minilite style wheels in case someone is thinking of suggesting changing my wheels to 14's.

Here is what I am finding:
Coker Tire has a
175/80R13 whitewall BF Goodrich Silvertown Classic Radial
185/70R13 whitewall BF Goodrich Silvertown Wide Whitewall Radial
185/70R13 redline BF Goodrich Silvertown Redline Radial
prices $184 to $204

Diamond Back Classic Tires (sidewalls are added) has a
185/80R13 in either a whitewall or a redline
priced at $189/tire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1484339891620.jpg    58.3 KB
1484339891620.jpg

20170117_142406.jpg    40.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Desert Rat Avatar
Desert Rat Chris S.
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The replacement radial to the stock bias is 145/80 R13 or 155/80 R13 (depends on who you ask). I have the BF Goodrich Silvertown in 155/80 R13 from Coker Tire on mine with stock wheels.
How much wider than the stock wheels are your wheels?

Agnes, an original, unrestored, unmolested 1960 Austin Healey Sprite Bugeye, bought by my father in 1961 from the first owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 02:46 PM by Desert Rat.

Nice looking combination. I have Minator 13 inch wheels which came on my car. Is there a number on the wheel which will identify the width? Thank you for your response.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert Rat Avatar
Desert Rat Chris S.
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 189013 by jameshodges Nice looking combination. I have Minator 13 inch wheels which came on my car. Is there a number on the wheel which will identify the width? Thank you for your response.

Thanks! It had blackwall tires for years, decided it was time a change. Some wheels have the size stamped on them somewhere, some do not. Any tire shop can tell you the width with a caliper they use. They shouldn't need to take the wheel off of the car to do.

Agnes, an original, unrestored, unmolested 1960 Austin Healey Sprite Bugeye, bought by my father in 1961 from the first owner.

Do you know of a chart which gives the range of proper tire widths appropriate to a specific wheel width?

Desert Rat Avatar
Desert Rat Chris S.
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
There are a few on line if you Google wheel width tire calculator. If you have a tire shop measure your wheel they should have a chart handy or if you decide to buy from Coker, give them a call with your wheel information and they could tell you.

I see that Coker Tire does give a suggested rim width range for each tire.

RedDuck Avatar
RedDuck Gold Member Richard P.
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
werthie Alan W
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Pirelli is now re-issuing the CN36 tire from the late 60's / early 70's … I just put a set of 185/70VR13's on my Bugeye… I needed a small spacer in the rear. they're mounted on 5.5" Cosmics.… great tire!!
Alan in LA

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
Have any of you guys tried the new 145R13 Pirelli Cinturato?

61bugii Avatar
61bugii Kevin W
Paola, KS, USA   USA
If My avitar is working like expected. You'll see the Coker BF Goodrich Red lines on my Bugeye.

Very nice. In 2017 I searched for redlines and resorted to Calli Tires 175 70R 13" wheels because that's all found. I truly like the look.

James in N VA

Attachments:
20170315_115945.jpg    32 KB
20170315_115945.jpg

20181025_123645.jpg    68.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
I'm unable to see your initial photo. Are there any problems with clearance and rubbing?

61bugii Avatar
61bugii Kevin W
Paola, KS, USA   USA
Locking the steering either direction will get a touch from the shock arm tip on the inner wheel while up on jack stands, I don't expect them to once on the ground. No issues with the tires as yet, need to drive to verify. Installing engine with 5 speed this weekend.

Attachments:
IMG_20180731_182921.jpg    54.3 KB
IMG_20180731_182921.jpg

Thank you for the update.

Are you installing either a Datsun or a European Ford T-9 5 speed transmission? I used the T-9 kit which Moss and Bugeye Guy sell. Just curious.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links