Bugeye Tires

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 208815 by jameshodges Thank you, Kurt.. I think the bar I have is 9/16.

I believe that stock is 9/16. Could be a bit heavier IMO.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
In reply to # 208783 by refisk "Handling" is a personal perspective thing. I have 185/60R13's on my car and the handling is superb. smileys with beer

it isn't. i think where the variable is is what people consider to be handling But over tyreing cat means it doesn't handle as good. its not progressive.

what i think you are talking about is grip. You will have better straight line braking and less wheel spin (probably not that bigger issue) but it wont turn in as quickly. and here is the biggy, although you sort of have more grip it wont benefit from it in the corners because you have the wrong car for those tyres. it wont be progressive. when you corner hard it will lift the inside edge of your tyre and the grip will let go suddenly.

Have you massively stiffened the suspension, lowered the car and added some negative camber. If it is a racing car, then yep fatter tyres are the way to go. but even then you can over tyre the car. on a racing car fatter tyres will stop you better, get you off the start line and out of a sharpe corner better. but if you go too big it doesn't handle very well and you cant go round fast corners very well.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I’ve got 2 sets of wheels and tires for my Bugeye, 1 stock wheels with 145s and a set of VTOs with 175s. While the 145s are fun because they let you slip and slide, toss the car, etc., the 175s don’t break loose unless you really screw up. It’s like night and day in the handling department. For pure entertainment the 145s are the most fun, but for getting around a corner I’ll take the 175s.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pawied Avatar
pawied Paul Wied
Stockholm, Sweden   SWE
I can also put my 2 cents in, my car is modified for track racing...not by me, I bought it that way.
I have 185 tires on, and there is no breaking loose for me yet...Just makes for a very stiff city riding.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
When Rick mentions 185 tires I'm sure he is talking about the tires on his racing BE.

I am currently running 195's on my Miata and on most of the roads I am forced to drive on I hate them. The roads are all made up of trenches caused by trucks and wide tires are constantly trying to climb out of those trenches. I'm afraid the days of good roads, at least in my part of the country, are gone.

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
LOL. You've never driven my car and don't have any idea how well it corners. I have and I know the difference between skinny tires and fat tires. It's a personal preference thing. smiling smiley

In reply to # 208819 by Nasher
In reply to # 208783 by refisk "Handling" is a personal perspective thing. I have 185/60R13's on my car and the handling is superb. smileys with beer

it isn't. i think where the variable is is what people consider to be handling But over tyreing cat means it doesn't handle as good. its not progressive.

what i think you are talking about is grip. You will have better straight line braking and less wheel spin (probably not that bigger issue) but it wont turn in as quickly. and here is the biggy, although you sort of have more grip it wont benefit from it in the corners because you have the wrong car for those tyres. it wont be progressive. when you corner hard it will lift the inside edge of your tyre and the grip will let go suddenly.

Have you massively stiffened the suspension, lowered the car and added some negative camber. If it is a racing car, then yep fatter tyres are the way to go. but even then you can over tyre the car. on a racing car fatter tyres will stop you better, get you off the start line and out of a sharpe corner better. but if you go too big it doesn't handle very well and you cant go round fast corners very well.

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
In reply to # 208822 by Perdido I’ve got 2 sets of wheels and tires for my Bugeye, 1 stock wheels with 145s and a set of VTOs with 175s. While the 145s are fun because they let you slip and slide, toss the car, etc., the 175s don’t break loose unless you really screw up. It’s like night and day in the handling department. For pure entertainment the 145s are the most fun, but for getting around a corner I’ll take the 175s.
Rut

yep so what you are describing is better handling on the 145 and greater road holding on the 175. they are different things.

which do you enjoy driving on most?

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 208847 by Nasher
In reply to # 208822 by Perdido I’ve got 2 sets of wheels and tires for my Bugeye, 1 stock wheels with 145s and a set of VTOs with 175s. While the 145s are fun because they let you slip and slide, toss the car, etc., the 175s don’t break loose unless you really screw up. It’s like night and day in the handling department. For pure entertainment the 145s are the most fun, but for getting around a corner I’ll take the 175s.
Rut

yep so what you are describing is better handling on the 145 and greater road holding on the 175. they are different things.

which do you enjoy driving on most?
Doug,
I don’t know how you got that from my post. Slipping and sliding is not my idea of better handling, but it may be yours. If I had to choose between 145s and 175s I would pick the 175s everytime. I also like driving on wet, snow covered, and icy parking lots for grins, but it ain’t better handling.
Rut

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
That is odd. I know what i prefer.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Realize a sway bar is a deviation from the discussion but wanted to inform anyone thinking sway bars that one must re-enforce the frame rails if one goes to a stiffer than stock bar.

jameshodges James Hodges/A
Purcellville, VA, USA   USA
I appreciate the advice. Mine is 9/16".

TR-Bach Gregg Bach
Stephens City, VA, USA   USA
Vredestein T-Trac 175/70/13. Is what I run on my 59' Bugeye. GREAT tire. Supreme handling. Tough to find in the US but you can with a thoughtful search. I believe I got mine from Tires by Web, but there are other importers.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    35.6 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    43.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I believe Vredsestein are now completely out of business and no longer available anywhere are they not? Or maybe it is just they no longer have decent sized 13 inch tires.

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Vredestein is very much still in business. And they even have a tire available in our size. Finding someone that sells them is not easy though.

https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/155/80/13/885-quatrac-5

In reply to # 209131 by S1 Elan I believe Vredsestein are now completely out of business and no longer available anywhere are they not? Or maybe it is just they no longer have decent sized 13 inch tires.

Kurt

ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 209133 by refisk Vredestein is very much still in business. And they even have a tire available in our size. Finding someone that sells them is not easy though.

https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/155/80/13/885-quatrac-5

In reply to # 209131 by S1 Elan I believe Vredsestein are now completely out of business and no longer available anywhere are they not? Or maybe it is just they no longer have decent sized 13 inch tires.

Kurt

Is it possible for them to make their website any more difficult to use? Locating a store (at least on the West coast) is nearly impossible. I can't imagine they have that many dealers. How about just providing a text listing of all dealers and locations. Beyond that, many features of the website site don't work and come up with blank screens. I'm using chrome but I also tried Internet Explorer with the same results.

Sorry for the rant.
Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 02:18 PM by ron1961bugeye.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links