Bugeye Windshield Frame

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

2Healeys Alan C
Mooresville, NC, USA   USA
I purchased a disassembled car and noticed the windshield frame (drivers side) mounting base is broken off. I have the broken piece. Looks to be cast material, can it be reattached by any means? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Buy a set available from AH Spares I know. Got a set when the Pound crashed. Nice polished aluminum, These are for later BE's I dont think they fit early 58's. Chassis Numbers above ....6000 2 snaps on the top Corners.

If you've got a 9 snap early windshield not sure if part is available. Early Windscreens have that part painted body color. not polished aluminum.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Alan,
Welcome to the forum! Jim has a great suggestion and you would have to buy a pair to match. You can search eBay, there’s a passenger side on there now, or post in the BST forum.
Good luck, Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
To answer your question Alan...yes it can be welded. Some may TIG weld it, but I used an aluminum spool gun.

Ben M Avatar
It would have taken some force to break it off. In that case it could have bent a little before it broke, and even welded back together it might be off-angle.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I bet it was dropped after it was removed from the car.

In reply to # 208614 by Ben M It would have taken some force to break it off. In that case it could have bent a little before it broke, and even welded back together it might be off-angle.

NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
Anybody want to play "which one was welded" ?
Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture.
One of the holes was broken off and the piece was missing, I simply welded on a 3/8" thick piece, ground it to shape...matched the hole location by placing them back to back, drilled, countersunk and added patina.
Sorry can't provide a prize for a correct guess..smiling smiley

Attachments:
001 (128).jpg    37.9 KB
001 (128).jpg

2Healeys Alan C
Mooresville, NC, USA   USA
Appreciate the responses folks. Yeah believe Ben is right about it being dropped. I have the window frame, broken mounting piece, glass was advised broken. I’ll cost the options you gents suggest.

Attachments:
C57A1A7E-EA19-4F5D-9442-D1F82DA01D83.jpeg    23.8 KB
C57A1A7E-EA19-4F5D-9442-D1F82DA01D83.jpeg

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Trying to get the screws out can be hard. Good overnight soak in rust release fluid recommended. The steel screws react with the aluminium screen. Galvanic corrosion! AH spares for that part.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I’ve had better luck using Kroil for soaking rusted fasteners than anything else. Those screws on the windshield frame can be a real pita to remove, but you can usually clean the threads up and use antiseize.
Rut

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
I find Plus Gas quite good. But I have used Dot 4 brake fluid where no paint was involved. Used some plasticine
to make a small "dam" round the top of the screw. Filled with Dot4 brake fluid left overnight. For some reason screw came out! The screws are posidrive no 2 as far as I can see on BE's

rem959 Avatar
rem959 Paul Ross
Stalbridge, Dorset, UK   GBR
If you decide to tig weld it, make sure you remove any oxide or anodised area near the weld line. If you can't get all the screws out or a screw snaps the threads can be replaced in the frame

using a Rivnut tool, I've replaced all the threads in my frame, seem to remember using m5 Rivnut's from this set. They are cheap on Ebay in the states also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86Pcs-Threaded-Nut-Rivet-M3-M8-Insert-Tool-Riveter-Rivnut-Nutsert-Riveting-Kit/292919906286?epid=12010498207&hash=item4433630fee:g:0HUAAOSwJ4Va9VK3:rk:10:pf:0

The original's were grey anodised, like the picture above, new ones from AH Spares are polished, but good quality.

hope this helps smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links