Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Great info Tim, thanks for posting. I agree, this is a great thread and gives all of us some useful data for incremental improvements to the original 948. Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
boom132 Jason Dupuy
Manchester, ME, USA   USA
This is too funny... I just literally tore apart my spare 948 that came with my BE this evening. I am a complete novice, and will have lots of questions. I’m taking lots of pictures too... will most likely start my own thread. Please check it out when it’s up... I’ll need all of your help!

Jason
Manchester, ME

Attachments:
E166DEB9-7B38-4C03-91AE-C0FFFFB1D571.jpeg    57.8 KB
E166DEB9-7B38-4C03-91AE-C0FFFFB1D571.jpeg

44EA5A49-AEED-4457-A561-70AF9452ECE7.jpeg    50 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AFE5B02A-5286-4021-91D5-A57B00FC8345.jpeg    69.9 KB
80808ADC-1A04-416E-A9CD-6346AA5A2E47.jpeg    63.3 KB
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Mike H,

I finally got out to the garage and pulled the lightened flywheel from the 948. It weighs 16 pounds 2 ounces. I don't know for sure what a stock flywheel weighs, but I seem to remember reading 22 pounds somewhere.

In reply to # 208405 by grey1 Hi Rick, well actually, that is a very generous offer. I would like that, but would only ask that you not rush into it or go to too much trouble. It would just give me a target for my own exercise, which is also not urgent. Thanks! Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DCFAFBE0-396F-4F2C-BB5D-0EA12F024366.jpeg    44.7 KB
DCFAFBE0-396F-4F2C-BB5D-0EA12F024366.jpeg

51A694F0-C1AB-428B-8F67-4A2C68251CD4.jpeg    40.2 KB
grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Rick, That is so very helpful! Thank you for doing that and for posting these weights. I will help me immensely, and I am certain others can use this info too. Really, thanks!
My feeling on this BE is that it would be easy to drop in a 1275cc motor, then upgrade everything else. I am not after the quickest Sprite. I would like to recreate what Bugeye owners did in 1964, 1965, 1966 and so on. They did not have the 1275 option, so they ported the intakes on their 629 cylinder heads, tried different exhaust manifolds, experimented with larger SUs, and bigger exhaust pipes. But a big help, I feel, was a lightened flywheel. This is a great start! Mike

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
I just weighed a couple in the warehouse. They're 21 pounds even.

In reply to # 208564 by refisk Mike H,

I finally got out to the garage and pulled the lightened flywheel from the 948. It weighs 16 pounds 2 ounces. I don't know for sure what a stock flywheel weighs, but I seem to remember reading 22 pounds somewhere.

In reply to # 208405 by grey1 Hi Rick, well actually, that is a very generous offer. I would like that, but would only ask that you not rush into it or go to too much trouble. It would just give me a target for my own exercise, which is also not urgent. Thanks! Mike

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Thanks Brendan. The weight difference between stock and lightened is impressive. Almost 5 pounds of road hugging weight gone!

In reply to # 208579 by BMac I just weighed a couple in the warehouse. They're 21 pounds even.

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Yeah, that would make a big difference. We have another 948 here that we're thinking of doing later on. I have to keep this in mind.

In reply to # 208580 by refisk Thanks Brendan. The weight difference between stock and lightened is impressive. Almost 5 pounds of road hugging weight gone!

In reply to # 208579 by BMac I just weighed a couple in the warehouse. They're 21 pounds even.

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Keep an eye on the bearings! I recall mine "going". Then it was down to a pint of heavy grade oil
every 100 miles or so !

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
A-ha! Great info Brendan. Thanks for posting. Mike

caflorence Avatar
caflorence Chuck Florence
Carthage, NY, USA   USA
is the thicker back plate needed if rib case internals are installed in a smooth case?

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
If the "rib case internals" includes the front trans input shaft, then yes you would need the thick back plate. The rib case input shaft is longer than the smooth case input shaft.

In reply to # 208612 by caflorence is the thicker back plate needed if rib case internals are installed in a smooth case?

caflorence Avatar
caflorence Chuck Florence
Carthage, NY, USA   USA
Wish I'd known that trip 8 months ago.... confused smiley

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Yes, since the ribcase input shaft is longer.

In reply to # 208612 by caflorence is the thicker back plate needed if rib case internals are installed in a smooth case?

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
The head is done. The original 2A629 head had heavy corrosion and pitting around the thermostat housing so we had to locate another 2A629 core.

Attachments:
IMG_4165.jpg    49.5 KB
IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg    50.7 KB
grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Looks great! So what size valves are in there?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links