Early 948cc Engine Restore

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Did you convert for unleaded? I did mine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
Yes, it had hardened seats added, the guides replaced, and newer style valve seals added. The intake ports were also relieved a bit and larger 1.21' intake valves installed. Nothing earth shaking - just moderate upgrades.

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
1" exhausts and 1.21" intakes.

In reply to # 208647 by grey1 Looks great! So what size valves are in there?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L Ken G
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Nice clean looking head. What’s your cleaning process? Caustic? Bead blasting! Baking?

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Brendan, Really appreciate you documenting these steps. Great job! I think what you are doing is a smart, sensible upgrade to the original level of performance, without going "all in" for speed or for what may be expected that one should do with their original BE. Thanks!

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Our head guy does the work but they’re tanked and bead blasted and must be mag’d because bad cores are returned with cracks indicated in crayon. They also get surfaced, of course. We do final assembly and occasionally Tony in our shop will also do some porting and polishing of the chambers.

In reply to # 208662 by AN5L Nice clean looking head. What’s your cleaning process? Caustic? Bead blasting! Baking?

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Crank is back and was turned to 10/10. It was also balanced.

The block is now back from the machine shop, too. Bored a little more than .080” over (for 998cc +.020 pistons), line bored, and decked and ready for assembly. We actually got three blocks back at once - two 1275 Mini blocks (one customer wants his in Ford blue!) and our little 948 is already wearing some fresh MOWOG green paint.

I will post more photos of the assembly and maybe a video or two.

Attachments:
07B71FD6-5AD9-4AE0-97B0-3625B3DF9737.jpeg    52.3 KB
07B71FD6-5AD9-4AE0-97B0-3625B3DF9737.jpeg

B185260F-EB11-4800-A821-CD3D361A8505.jpeg    60.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
6B2567AB-3D9A-423D-B54C-601DE893A2A2.jpeg    42.7 KB
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Brendan,
Everything looks great! When they line bored the block was the rear scroll seal in place or are you going to use an aftermarket rear seal?
Rut

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Yes, the rear half moon seal was in place so that the aftermarket seal won’t be necessary. That’s been standard operating procedure for us for all inline rebuilds for years now.

In reply to # 208872 by Perdido Brendan,
Everything looks great! When they line bored the block was the rear scroll seal in place or are you going to use an aftermarket rear seal?
Rut

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Finally sourced the correct rivets for the early valve covers. Here's some pictures and a video.

Attachments:
IMG_4155.jpg    37.8 KB
IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg    55 KB
IMG_4158.jpg    54.6 KB
grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Great detail Brendan. Looks like a "barn find" original cover, only shiny! Mike

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I'm curious about these flywheels weights. I have an MGB with a 9 pound flywheel and love the improved throttle response. Does the BE need a heavier flywheel because the crank is light or?

Adrian

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
If your flywheel only weighs 9 pounds it's not the stock unit. MGBs came from the factory with cast iron flywheels that weighed 21 to 28 pounds depending on the engine type. The heavy factory flywheels were probably chosen because of cost and drivability for the average Joe.

In reply to # 209030 by pinkyponk I'm curious about these flywheels weights. I have an MGB with a 9 pound flywheel and love the improved throttle response. Does the BE need a heavier flywheel because the crank is light or?

Adrian

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The 948cc BE was originally fitted to Morris Minor. I had a 948cc Morris Minor back in the day-actually a 1959 estate! Now the flywheel weight was 21lbs. When I got my BE I "mucked about" as you did when you got your hands on your first "real" sports car! -with the 948cc engine and fitted an aquaplane "light weight" flywheel made of aluminium which weighed in at about 10lbs. However -I had problems with the ring gear-I think who ever fitted the ring gear either fitted it the wrong way round or it was just out of "true". Trying to impress a young lady and the starter did not quite "engage"!

grey1 Avatar
grey1 Mike H
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
This is interesting Eric. I just googled that flywheel and Ebay UK has an original "Leaflet" for that product for sale. It points out : "The extremely rapid acceleratlon available through the Aquaplane Wheel may well confound the drivers of cars not so fortunately equipped"! You must have been very quick indeed! Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links