Facet Electric fuel pump question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
My BE had an electric fuel pump when I got the car. It's a Facet cube solid state fuel pump. I believe the model number is 40104 (see attached photo). I think it use to pump up to pressure and turn off. Now it runs continuously. If I turn on the key (without starting engine) I can hear the sound change as it gets the system up to pressure. There are no gas leaks. Perhaps this is normal and I am just not remembering correctly. The engine runs just fine. Figured someone here would know if continuous operation was normal or not.

If it is not normal would this be an indication that the pump should be replaced? Anticipating replacement I have looked for model 40104 and Amazon lists the model but it is "currently unavailable". Model 40105 is available but it has slightly different pressure and flow values (see attachment). What electric gas pumps work for the 948 and what's a good source?

Thanks for your help, Ron

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Elect pump info.JPG    48.7 KB
Elect pump info.JPG

Facet pump specs.JPG    17.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The Facet pumps I've used run all the time.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
The Facet pumps do not shut off when full pressure is achieved, they just get quieter. It doesn't look like you've got the threaded filter on the inlet side of the pump, which is a good idea to keep the pump from loading up with crud (just a thought). Bottom line, your pump is working normally. The fuel pressure for SUs needs to be 1-3 psi, any more and it can blow the needles open and flood the engine.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 208996 by refisk The Facet pumps I've used run all the time.
OK good to know. My remembrance is incorrect and the pump is working correctly.

In reply to # 208997 by AN5L8016 The Facet pumps do not shut off when full pressure is achieved, they just get quieter. It doesn't look like you've got the threaded filter on the inlet side of the pump, which is a good idea to keep the pump from loading up with crud (just a thought). Bottom line, your pump is working normally. The fuel pressure for SUs needs to be 1-3 psi, any more and it can blow the needles open and flood the engine.

The inline filter doesn't show up in the photo but it is between the tank and the pump. The 40104 model in my car is the lowest pressure cube solid state fuel pump that Facet lists in their spec sheet. However, it has a maximum pressure of 4 psi. which is above the 3 psi listed in your comment. I've not noticed any issues. If I turn on the key and let the pump operate without starting the engine I do not detect any fuel flowing from the breather holes of the float chambers (or the carburetors for that mater). I assume the fuel is being properly valved off by the float needle valve and cannot push thru to the carburetor needle valves.

Thanks for setting me straight on this. One less thing to worry about. Appreciated.
Ron

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links