AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
BG,
From your description of the front frame rails I believe Ernie and Rick are spot on. It sounds like you’re going to have to pull the engine to fix the tranny leak, so it will be a good time to take it to the frame shop. The specs are in the Bentley manual and it should be a pretty straightforward fix.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Holy hell Batman. I may have screwed this up by "fixing it". The camber does appear to be off slightly. Damn.

Should have researched it before tweaking, but just did not know.

BG

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Damn. My body guy mentioned the rails being tweaked up, and said he was having a tough time lining up the tilt hood.

I said... go ahead and straighten them out not knowing the possible damage it would cause.

It seemed like a win/win... but it looks like a big problem now if the camber is out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
NA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 09:34 PM by BigGeorge67.

Perdido Avatar
BG,
You’re not the first to fix the front rails and you certainly won’t be the last, so take heart! With the engine and tranny out it’s a pretty simple fix to restore the front end and get the caster and steering back to normal. Just for grins, unbolt the steering rack and add a 1” block of wood under each and see where the steering shaft ends up. Keep us posted on your fixes...
Rut

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks for the kind words... so i don't feel like a complete idiot. lolz

Everything is coming out, and hopefully my guy can re-tweak it back to where it was.

Guess I won't make the January Car Show in Tubac AZ.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
In reply to # 207997 by BigGeorge67 Holy hell Batman. I may have screwed this up by "fixing it". The camber does appear to be off slightly. Damn.

Should have researched it before tweaking, but just did not know.

BG

It’s not the camber that will be off,it’s the caster. I worried about mine when I first saw it too. It just doesn’t look right with the rails bent up like that. But then again a lot of things on these cars make you wonder.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 207995 by Perdido BG,
From your description of the front frame rails I believe Ernie and Rick are spot on. It sounds like you’re going to have to pull the engine to fix the tranny leak, so it will be a good time to take it to the frame shop. The specs are in the Bentley manual and it should be a pretty straightforward fix.
Rut

Bentley manual for specs? Do you have a copy of that to post or PM me? Thanks.

Perdido Avatar
BG,
I’m not home, so I don’t have access to my manual, but check out this link.
Rut
https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?6,5903

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Just took a layman's perspective on the front end... and it looks plumb in all directions... so the tweaking apparently did not affect camber or caster.

Thanks for all the feedback... and now I can get the engine lift out, and fix that tranny leak.

There's still hope for a spring time drive.

BG

Attachments:
20181231_105807_resized.jpg    31.9 KB
20181231_105807_resized.jpg

Jacquettefx Frank Jacquette
Lewes, DE, USA   USA
Rut,

That raises a question that I am interested in. Exactly where does the outer steering column go? It seems to fit perfectly between the firewall and the dash but I now suspect that it is supposed to extend out of the firewall to some point while still being clamped in the mounting bracket behind the dash. I initially had the same problem with the column not being centered in the hole in the dash but as I tightened all the mounting bolts for the dash, it became more centered (although not perfect). Thanks.

Frank

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Hi Frank watch the torque loading. These clamps are alloy and I have seen them cracked. Same with
steering rack mounts. A good e bay spare to put aside.

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 208078 by Jacquettefx Rut,

That raises a question that I am interested in. Exactly where does the outer steering column go? It seems to fit perfectly between the firewall and the dash but I now suspect that it is supposed to extend out of the firewall to some point while still being clamped in the mounting bracket behind the dash. I initially had the same problem with the column not being centered in the hole in the dash but as I tightened all the mounting bolts for the dash, it became more centered (although not perfect). Thanks.

Frank
Frank,
I think this might be the best picture that I have showing both the inner and outer column mounted in their original position. When I rebuilt the column I used the old wear marks to reassemble it. I hope this helps.
Rut

Attachments:
2A403113-C86C-4A69-AB46-5B5494F804B9.jpeg    47.6 KB
2A403113-C86C-4A69-AB46-5B5494F804B9.jpeg

Jacquettefx Frank Jacquette
Lewes, DE, USA   USA
Thanks Rut. I should be able to work with that. There are enough reference points in the photo to figure out where it sits relative to the inner column.

Frank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links