Fitting Dash on Bugeye...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
... when in doubt... I always turn to the pros.

Having trouble with the fit of the steering column. Outside bolts are in... lower bracket spacers in place... but it's still not lining up properly with column.

I thought about lowering the column with spacers, but the DS motor mount comes into play even though it's notched for the column.

Any tips...?

Thanks,

BG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20181226_154051_resized.jpg    46.2 KB
20181226_154051_resized.jpg

AN5L Ken G
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Were there shims under the steering column bracket when you disassembled the steering column? Did you put them back in when reinstalling the bracket? Shims are shown in factory parts drawings. If you don’t have a factory parts diagram see Seth’s website, Spridgetguru.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
I had put two of the shims in there that... I were with the car.. but it looks like I'll need at least two more.

Is the process to remove the rack mounting caps and force down to add the shims?

Tks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-26 08:09 PM by BigGeorge67.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
BG,
Couple of things...1 your steering column doesn’t look too far off compared to mine and 2 the shim(s) fit under the steering rack mount and mine had one on the right side. Is your dash all the way up to the cowl? You may have fitment issues that cause the dash to ride low causing a misalignment. If you decide to raise the steering rack, be careful to not induce bump steer by moving the rack up in relationship to the steering arms.
Rut

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
George, check the location of the grommet that seals the column at the firewall. I had the outer column slid too far forward and that made it so I couldn’t put the shims In under the mount under the dash.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Rut... it's completely up... and fitted with the bolts attached on each side and the lower support brackets in place.

That eliminates that issue.

BG

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Just checked that firewall fit, and the grommet is exactly where it needs to be so that is eliminated.

I was able to gently pull the steering column down and will insert a home made shim to get it positioned correctly for the cowl cover.

I've loosened the bolts on the rack to see if there is any wiggle room there .. to make sure the column is not stressed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BG

BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
Let's not forget the shim on LHD cars that goes in front of the RHS steering mount..

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
I did put that little gem in on the right side when installing the rack thanks to a tip.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
BG,
The outer steering column is definitely too far down on the inner shaft, but I don’t know what that would affect. The steering rack mounts are the cast aluminum style, not stamped steel, correct? There are ‘only’ 4 points that need to line up, the rack, the toe board grommet, the under cowl mount, and the dash...I feel like I’m missing something simple since it’s such a straightforward assembly.
Rut

Attachments:
C12D88D8-739F-49DD-A06D-92BF52DB6E65.jpeg    38.2 KB
C12D88D8-739F-49DD-A06D-92BF52DB6E65.jpeg

5EF19BB3-D216-4516-968E-3187EF2E364E.jpeg    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CC275E5F-45DE-489B-81DC-6D27D696D3E2.jpeg    42.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Were the front chassis rails "straightened"?

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
In reply to # 207921 by Perdido BG,
The outer steering column is definitely too far down on the inner shaft, but I don’t know what that would affect
Rut

I affects the angle of the column and puts it right where the OP shows. I just went through the same thing. Take another look at that area George. Once you bring the outer column up and properly position the grommet the column will sit in the right location. At least that is what happened on my car.

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Bad news... it appears I will be removing the engine, and replacing the front transmission seal cover because mine lwas eaking like a sieve.

The guy that went through my Rib Case apparently did not verify the front housing gasket and it made a mess right away. Just a huge pain in the tail now to fix.

With the motor out... I can reassess everything on the steering before reinstall.

The front two rails... appx 1 foot from the front were bumped up 1"...and I had them brought straight, but that should have had no affect on the adjustment of the rack and steering column. Right?

Like you all said... pretty straightforward and should not be complicated. But this little car makes me pull my hair out.

I'll work on it next year. LOL

Tks

BG

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those rails should not be straight. They are kicked up to set the caster of the front wheels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 06:58 PM by rhodyspit75.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
George,

The chassis rails had an upward curve from the factory. That's how the caster angle of the front suspension was set. The chassis rails curved upwards in the front. This determined the angle of the crossmember which set the caster angle. If your chassis rails were bent up from crash damage and then straightened you may have inadvertently caused the steering column issue by changing the angle of the crossmember. Bending the chassis rails down in front would tilt the crossmember forwards, which would raise the steering column up at the dash as well as change the caster angle. I hope this isn't the problem.

In reply to # 207992 by BigGeorge67 Bad news... it appears I will be removing the engine, and replacing the front transmission seal cover because mine lwas eaking like a sieve.

The guy that went through my Rib Case apparently did not verify the front housing gasket and it made a mess right away. Just a huge pain in the tail now to fix.

With the motor out... I can reassess everything on the steering before reinstall.

The front two rails... appx 1 foot from the front were bumped up 1"...and I had them brought straight, but that should have had no affect on the adjustment of the rack and steering column. Right?

Like you all said... pretty straightforward and should not be complicated. But this little car makes me pull my hair out.

I'll work on it next year. LOL

Tks

BG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links