Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
Greetings,
I'm looking at my MC and thinking I need to rebuild for my 61 BE. I ordered and received the kit from Moss. Assuming I can get the Master Cylinder out without destroying it, I'll examine to see if I can rebuild. From reading various threads it seems likely that the bores may be pitted and a new MC is warranted (although it is not leaking any brake fluid). I have drum brakes so assume I should stick with the 7/8" bore. I've looked at the options on the Moss site and there's at least three choices: TRW/Lucas, AP Braking, & Classic Gold. Price variance is wide. From the limited info provided, it's hard to know what the differences are. Additionally, I contacted Gerald C who rebuilds your MC with new brass bore inserts plus a complete refurbishment of the MC. This seems like a good way to go but it is higher cost. I assume others in this forum have been in the same place as me, trying to evaluate these options. I'm open to any helpful suggestions, info, evaluations, experiences, or other comments.

Thanks, Ron

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hi Ron,

I don't know what the differences are between the three master cylinder Moss sells. Last year I bought the TRW/Lucas version when it was on sale. It works great and has been trouble free. It's only a year old, but so far so good. I think that one of the keys to keeping things working properly is regular use.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Ron, I did a permanent fix and had Gerard resleeve in 3/4" Brass, Brass piston and brass bore. Yes more than buying a new MC but a one time deal that won't pit as hydraulic fluid absorbs water over the years. Regular use of the car plus Fluid Changes on a regular basis solve a lot of the issues.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links