AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Motor Pull ?
  This topic is about my 1960 Austin-Healey Sprite
saaboat Bill Trench
South Salem, NY, USA   USA
Maybe a stupid question, but... I am going to restore the bonnet to the original rear hinges ( because i think it is so much a part of the character of the bar) and I want to know if it HAS to be removed in the event of needing the motor out again ? Is there enough clearance to use the shop crane with the load leveler ? I just read an old forum thread about using a floor jack and a board to slide the M/T out the front.....one guy just slid them apart in the bay and replaced a TO bearing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I believe I’ve read that it is possible if you remove the bonnet supports and push it as far up as you can. My question is why wouldn’t you want to remove it? It’s so much easier to do the job with it out of the way. Myself and two other older gentlemen removed the bonnet ,pulled the motor and transmission, replaced the transmission and had it all back together except for the bonnet by the afternoon.

saaboat Bill Trench
I was just trying to picture it in my head and I have no problem having to remove the bonnet. I have a noisy Datsun-type TOB and I'd take care of that before hand. There is just something about seeing one of these cars with the bonnet open and the motor down inside...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Much easier to remove the bonnet. You might want to remove the radiator as well. Easier to take whole engine and gearbox out if you are doing any major work ie clutch, clutch slave cylinder -put a remote bleeder in-spin on/off oil filter.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
And if you don't have help to pull the bonnet, and you don't have a brand new concours paint job, it's possible to do yourself using a sling going to each side of the bonnet that goes up to a pulley hung from the ceiling. Similar arrangements are used hardtop storage and installations. Two ropes meet in the center of the bonnet, helps to have a cleat of some sort to tie off the bonnet and support the weight. Loosen all but one bonnet bolt on each side, raise bonnet and rope so slack is out, remove last two bolts, Lift it up, rotate 90 degrees, or in my case 180 degrees and lower bonnet, lands on a piece of carpet or cardboard box, stand up on end, disconnect ropes.

Now if you've made the transition to front tilt bonnet. Disconnect Wiring Quick Connect, upbolt 2 pivot bolts, lift up and place on the ground. Done. Best to do with at least 3 people.Two to lift and 1 as a spotter.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

saaboat Bill Trench
Thanks. The motor's been in and out a few times and I like the FT for its simplicity. I just like the original configuration better.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
If you pull radiator, intake manifold and lay it on top of the engine, remove starter and generator the block will slide out between the radiator uprights. That's the way the factory did it originally.,

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Agree with Jim. On a BE its a simple matter to pull the engine between the radiator uprights. Contrary to what most on this thread do I almost always remove just the engine if the transmission doesn't need work. You save draining the trans and undoing the clutch slave and speedo cables plus trans mounts and drive shaft. I always use a couple of guide pins to separate the trans and engine and to reassemble them plus blocks under the trans while the engine is out.

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I've pulled the engine out of the blue Bugeye that way three times in the last year. It's out right now. smiling smiley

In reply to # 208594 by Jim Gruber If you pull radiator, intake manifold and lay it on top of the engine, remove starter and generator the block will slide out between the radiator uprights. That's the way the factory did it originally.,

Attachments:
45980617-87E2-49EA-9D62-F166C4F42DC0.jpeg    60.6 KB
45980617-87E2-49EA-9D62-F166C4F42DC0.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links