Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tim R Tim RAYMOND
Hythe, Kent, UK   GBR
Hi,
I am new to Sprites and am currently working on my son's 1959 948cc Frogeye. The car had burned a valve and I have had the cylinder head reconditioned and am taking the opportunity to replace some seals and gaskets to reduce the oil leaks a little. The manual refers to an 'Oil Primer bolt' this is at the back of the engine facing upwards on the side of the block beside the water drain tap but it doesn't say when or how to use it. Can someone advise me what this bolt is for, when I need to prime the oil etc. I am changing the oil, filter, sump is off, timing cover is off.

All help appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Tim,
Did you drain the oil and replace the bearings (rod, main, cam)? If not and you just did head work and replaced gaskets and seals, fill it with oil, take the plugs out and turn it over with the starter. Once you have oil pressure on your gauge replace the plugs and fire it up.
Rut

ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
I believe what you are referring to is the oil pressure bypass valve. If I'm right then there is nothing you have to do to it. Racers will play with it to increase oil pressure.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Tim,
I should have been more clear in my explanation. You remove the oil priming bolt/plug and pour oil in to fil the oil pump if it has been drained or removed. Generally speaking you can prime the pump using the starter with the spark plugs removed if the pump has not been removed. You NEVER want to start the engine without oil pressure first.
Rut

pixelsmithusa Avatar
HI Tim,

It really depends on how long the engine has been sitting idle. If it was in use prior to the head repair, you won't need to do anything other than to spin the engine without spark to confirm you have oil pressure. If it has been sitting for a very long time, oil can drain from the oil pump. If completely dry, it will not prime by cranking; it will only suck air. The easiest way to prime the pump is to remove the banjo bolt where the oil filter head line attaches, and squirt or pour a couple teaspoons of oil down there and replace the banjo bolt. Crank the engine without spark, and once you see the gauge move, you should be fine.

If you're new to the Sprite, check my website Tech section for more tips and tricks. Link is in my sig.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 03:22 PM by pixelsmithusa.

earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
My problem of recent was when I did my assembly the gasket set didn't include compressible copper washers. Called NW where I bought and they said they don't include them... They were a bear to find...those sizes away

ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 5244 by pixelsmithusa HI Tim,

It really depends on how long the engine has been sitting idle. If it was in use prior to the head repair, you won't need to do anything other than to spin the engine without spark to confirm you have oil pressure. If it has been sitting for a very long time, oil can drain from the oil pump. If completely dry, it will not prime by cranking; it will only suck air. The easiest way to prime the pump is to remove the banjo bolt where the oil filter head line attaches, and squirt or pour a couple teaspoons of oil down there and replace the banjo bolt. Crank the engine without spark, and once you see the gauge move, you should be fine.

If you're new to the Sprite, check my website Tech section for more tips and tricks. Link is in my sig.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same question as the OP. I have just installed a 948 engine that has been setting for several years in my BE. I cranked the engine without spark and with plugs removed but did not get any oil pressure after 15 seconds. Remembered reading somewhere about priming the oil pump and found this thread. Are the banjo bolt and the oil priming bolt one and the same? Do I just remove the oil fitting bolt identified in my attachment and squirt the oil in? I want to confirm oil pressure before I try to actually start the engine. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Attachments:
Oil priming bolt.JPG    43.8 KB
Oil priming bolt.JPG

Ben M Avatar
The oil priming bolt is on the other side of the engine, opposite the banjo bolt. Early engines have the oil priming bolt; later engines do not, and have to be primed through the banjo bolt.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
The banjo bolt is by far the easiest since it is accessible while the priming bolt is under the manifold. I like to jack up the right side of the car and let it sit for a while after i pump in the oil.

Kurt

ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
OK. Success with the oil pump priming! Just removed the banjo boilt connection and squirted oil in till it filled up. Waited a bit, rotated the engine by hand and added more oil. Came to a point where it would not take any more. Closed it all up and rotated the engine with the starter (ignition off and plugs removed). Pressure went right up to 50 psi.

Prior to priming the pump, I connected tubing to the oil filter. This engine has a spin-on filter that sets level horizontally. The filter was new and dry. I wanted to get it full of oil before rotating the engine. Had an elevated funnel on the tubing and poured oil in. Took a while but seemed to work well filling up the filter. Attached a photo of the Rube Goldberg for your enjoyment.

Thanks to those who helped. It's good to know when something doesn't look right that this forum is available with members who have experienced these issues and know the steps needed to correct.

Ron

Attachments:
PC315613.JPG    58.3 KB
PC315613.JPG

Perdido Avatar
Success! I like it...thanks for update.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links