Question on front suspension

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Lew, I use both. Proper tool for the proper application.74 and Sunny today. Cincinnati has a foot of white stuff on the ground. Even with a tranny making strange noises Bugsy might need a short exercise today.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy" ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Just checked 2 of 3 sets I have. Attached are pics of the best pair I have - the black painted ones. These are not drilled for sway bar. $25 each + postage.

Threads are very snug - no discernible movement - with a new fulcrum pin. The one with X has two small cracks as shown which need to welded - easy job.

If you prefer I can replace with the 3rd wishbone if you prefer, which is drilled for sway bar mount (as attached). If you need another sway bar mount I can take from it's pair, which has bad cracks and is headed for the bin !

If you don't want sway bar mounts, I have a 3rd set and could replace the cracked one with one of those.

Let me know if interested. I can also send for just postage, if you prefer to check them first and pay later. Jim and I have exchanged parts like this before and it let's you personally test it with new fulcrum before buying..... you just have to send them back if not used !

Cheers
Lew

Attachments:
IMG_0039.JPG    54.3 KB
IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG    57.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0042.JPG    34.2 KB
IMG_0037.JPG    57.6 KB
lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
We had 4" last night, just been out cleaning cars and plowing driveway. it will be max 30F today - already have garage heater on and comfortable smileys with beer

Starting to sort parts and culling what I don't need to take back to Australia. We are heading home in September with Sebring, MGC and maybe Bugeye (if it doesn't sell) all in tow. Sebring is hibernating for Winter.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 11:21 AM by lewmac.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 208301 by lewmac Just checked 2 of 3 sets I have. Attached are pics of the best pair I have - the black painted ones. These are not drilled for sway bar. $25 each + postage.

Threads are very snug - no discernible movement - with a new fulcrum pin. The one with X has two small cracks as shown which need to welded - easy job.

If you prefer I can replace with the 3rd wishbone if you prefer, which is drilled for sway bar mount (as attached). If you need another sway bar mount I can take from it's pair, which has bad cracks and is headed for the bin !

If you don't want sway bar mounts, I have a 3rd set and could replace the cracked one with one of those.

Let me know if interested. I can also send for just postage, if you prefer to check them first and pay later. Jim and I have exchanged parts like this before and it let's you personally test it with new fulcrum before buying..... you just have to send them back if not used !

Cheers
Lew

Thanks! Not interested at this point. I'm kind of contemplating - I have two pairs - the one from this car (one is loose, one is fine), both have no holes for sway bar. Another is from a later car, also one is loose one is fine, but they have mounts for a sway bar. I'll, probably, mix and match at this point.

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
No problem. Glad you have a cost effective solution.

Cheers
Lew

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The British Heritage supplied wishbones appear to be good quality replacements But the price is rather high!

Martinf Martin Fleming
Manson, WA, USA   USA
Hi Lew,
I would like buy those two a arms, if that's ok with you. I'm currently restoring my 67 sprite and my fulcrum pins and bushings are shot. Why don't you pm me or email me with your address and I can send you a check.
Very big thanks!
Martin

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I have drilled the older A arms for the sway bar mounts by using the mounts as a drill guide. Also welded a small rod under the mount area as a re-enforcement just in case.

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 208345 by Perdido Here you go.
Rut
http://www.mikeamick.com/76midget/

Thanks!

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
3rd set pics - last two show dent and crack I mentioned in email.

In reply to # 208399 by Martinf Hi Lew,
I would like buy those two a arms, if that's ok with you. I'm currently restoring my 67 sprite and my fulcrum pins and bushings are shot. Why don't you pm me or email me with your address and I can send you a check.
Very big thanks!
Martin

Attachments:
IMG_0101.JPG    60.8 KB
IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_0103.JPG    63.5 KB
IMG_0104.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_0110.JPG    65.6 KB
IMG_0111.JPG    64.9 KB
lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Here are the king pins with unusual pitting where the bushes would be.

In reply to # 208399 by Martinf Hi Lew,
Very big thanks!
Martin

Attachments:
IMG_0106.JPG    68.2 KB
IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG    61.7 KB
IMG_0109.JPG    59.1 KB
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Not "unusual" at all. We have bins of them. Ignored maintenance is common, and the root of the problem.

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 208421 by PeterC Not "unusual" at all. We have bins of them. Ignored maintenance is common, and the root of the problem.

Peter C

Give Peter C a call if you want it done right!
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links