Question on front suspension

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
OK, I finally started working on the front suspension of our Mark III. Before I even start removing the kingpins from the wishbones, I have the following question:

- When I move the kingpin from side to side, it moves the fulcrum pin inside the threads of the wishbone, i.e., the fulcrum pin is pretty much loose in the threads. It doesn't just rotate, but I has a decent slack. I presume the wishbone is garbage at this point and needs to be replaced? Or am I thinking about it wrong because it is under the spring tension and the rigidity is provided by the shock arm?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
It’s pretty much toast if the fulcrum pin is moving and not rotating on the threads in the bushing on the end of the wishbone. Rebuildable yes, if they are off of a RB car which has heavier gussets and reinforcing but you can replace with new wishbones for less money. Moss sells two grades of wishbones. You can guess which one will last longer in the long run IMHO.

Wishbones, Major suspension kit, 4 shocks from PeterCaldwell along with his turnkey kingpin bushing reaming services and you are set to go. No not cheap but the difference in performance is incredibke.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
Thanks for the reply. The fulcrum pin rotates on the threads, but like a very loose bolt. If I take the wishbone so it is horizontal and the fulcrum pin faces me, and then move the kingpin left-right, the top of it (i.e., the portion on which the trunnion sits) gets about 1/4"-1/2" movement. Anyhow, will replace the wishbones.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Common problem. In the UK BMC had a car called the Allegro. Similar suspension at the front. Lack of greasing and the front wheel parted company with suspension often on slow turns. The quality of "new" or "recon" wishbones is suspect. Peter Caldwell can supply a properly engineered kit. Expensive but it works. You will probably need the king pin kit, rubber bushes etc.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
You need the step by step take it apart guide. Someone please post the link for him to the Step by step guide. Link is on my desktop. Just remember a Sawzall is your best friend in getting it apart.

Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 208269 by Jim Gruber You need the step by step take it apart guide. Someone please post the link for him to the Step by step guide. Link is on my desktop. Just remember a Sawzall is your best friend in getting it apart.

I already disassembled it and I am checking if the parts are reusable.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Check end of wishbone arms for cracks. Bushings in wishbones will be very worn more than likely and again cheaper to buy new than replace those bushings. Last set I had done by Apple Hydraulics. They did a great job but cost was ariund $250 plus shipping.

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Worth considering a polybush upgrade to replace rubber bushes. In the inner section of wishbone where
the bushes go some "new" wishbones are a straight tube. The originals are "tapered" . There has been a
lot of discussion re "quality" of new wishbones,.

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
Thanks! I'm ordering new wishbones and I already have polyurethane kits for the suspension.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Wait a minute. If your fulcrum pin only moves 1/4" to 1/2" side to side when the A frame is held stationary I would say that you don't have enough wear to justify replacing parts. Most cars are worn far more.

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I was thinking the same thing. But I didn't want to get in the way of Jim and his sawzall. the finger smiley

In reply to # 208283 by S1 Elan Wait a minute. If your fulcrum pin only moves 1/4" to 1/2" side to side when the A frame is held stationary I would say that you don't have enough wear to justify replacing parts. Most cars are worn far more.

Kurt

nazartp Pavel Nazartsev
Birdsboro, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 208283 by S1 Elan Wait a minute. If your fulcrum pin only moves 1/4" to 1/2" side to side when the A frame is held stationary I would say that you don't have enough wear to justify replacing parts. Most cars are worn far more.

Kurt

What would be the level of wear that I need to be concerned with? My main concern is that the wear at the wishbone puts additional stress on the shock absorber.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
I love my SawZall but only needed when you can’t get things apart. He stated the fulcrum pin very loose fit almost wobbling out. The fact he got it apart that easy means threads on the wishbone are toast. I’ve done this job 4 times now if it’s that loose the end of wishbone is shot. IMHO of course. With my current BE, spent 57 years with original owner in LA, Fulcrum pin turned right out. I replaced with a set of wishbones I had rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics. The OEM wishbones were not drilled for a sway bar. And yes fulcrum pin fits like a glove. You’ll be glad you ordered new wishbones. Consider a set if Peter Caldwell’s shocks while you’ve got it apart. You will not believe the difference when you get It back together.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 208286 by nazartp

Kurt

What would be the level of wear that I need to be concerned with? My main concern is that the wear at the wishbone puts additional stress on the shock absorber.

Of course when to replace is subjective with everyone having an opinion. Me, being cheeeep, I wouldn't worry about that wear. Some wouldn't worry till the slop causes front tire wear and makes it difficult to keep the car driving in a straight line....you are a ways from that.

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy" ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
If you want to save some cash - probably a couple of hundered dolares - I have spare wishbones both later model (drilled for sway bar bracket) or early bugeye that are good, not cracked and the fulcrum - a new fulcrum - screws in and fits snuggly.

It seems to be a miracle that you got the cotter pin out as these seem to always be stuck fast. Even heat and a big persuader and drive punch can't get them out. If you have removed them, try a new fulcrum in the kngpin to determine if kingpins are worn - it should be a very snug fit.

Then check king pin movement in the stub axle bushes.

Really 3 points of wear. Surprising over the life of the Sprite / Midget that no one has really re-enginneered this weak point in the suspension.

BTW, I find an angle grinder with thin metal cutting blade has less flex than Jim's SawzAll !

Cheers
Lew

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links