Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jwhite2 Avatar
jwhite2 Silver Member Jimmie White
Jacksonville, AR, USA   USA
I recently replaced the clutch slave cylinder and could not seem to get the air bled. After several attempts to get the transmission in gear without grinding the gears I noticed that the connecting hole (to the Master cylinder) on the clutch petal had worn almost double its size making the linkage to long. I welded up the hole on the clutch petal and redrilled it to the size of the pin and that corrected the problem. Hope this helps someone else.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The GSY110 / Automotive Parts No 110469P slave cylinder fitted to BE was a I suspect a cheap BMC "parts" bin fix. The BE gearbox was a slightly "improved" Morris Minor gearbox.The clutch was originally rod operated on Morris Minors. The upgrade to hydraulic done by simply bolting the slave cylinder in the same position as the earlier rod operation. These hydraulic slaves are used on the "mini". The bleed nipple is OK for the "mini". Easy access and at highest point. Bleeding the clutch on a BE is always difficult. Due in part as to its position. Fit a remote bleeder is the answer. Then replacing it is another difficulty. Cut a slot in the mounting bolt hole on the slave cylinder BE bleed nipple side facing "up". The bleed nipples are usually supplied in the straight ahead position-ideal for the mini. You can then push the slave cylinder into the mounting bolt and with a few turns on the bolt secure it. By the way the later 1275cc slave cylinders part No GSY113 are one inch and the bleed nipple and hose threads are different sizes. Various types of remote bleeders are available from peter may engineering (UK) and olphartz.com (USA) or you can DIY. You might find it useful to clamp the slave cylinder rod in tight when bleeding. This reduces the volume of fluid requiring to be bled. After bleeding hold down the clutch pedal with a length of wood and leave overnight! Gravity should remove air bubbles.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Also make sure bleeder screw is in the top hole. Some of the slaves do not come with bleeder installed in the correct spot/ hole. Leaves a tiny spot for an air bubble that you can bleed forever and never fix it.

Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -
A truly rust free, garaged in Los Angeles for 57 years Bugeye

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hemidavey Avatar
Hemidavey Dave Rudziensky
Grosse Isle, MI, USA   USA
Hi Jim, how is the new place in Sunshine state?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links