Riveted in headlight buckets ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
When I bought my Bugeye several years ago I noticed the headlight buckets were riveted in...which struck me as odd.
The car was originally Old English White but had (at some point in its distant past) been repainted blue (attached "blue" picture is when I first brought the car home) My intention at that time was to just get it dependable (green w/flag picture) and simply "get to know the car" and have fun.
Now I'm re-doing the car completely (upgrading to a 1275). When I sanded down the body I could clearly see the repaint and the original color but when it came to the bonnet I couldn't find any Old English White...except on the headlight buckets !
It appears the bonnet was replaced at the time of the blue paint job but they reinstalled the original headlight buckets. I have no idea when (year) or why it was done. So I can only surmise that replacement bonnets didn't come with headlight buckets ?
Anyone else come across this before ?
I find it interesting what these cars reveal about themselves once you dig in.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
001 (127).jpg    38.8 KB
001 (127).jpg

003 (38).jpg    55.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
006 (23).jpg    40.4 KB
007 (21).jpg    48.1 KB
004 (40).jpg    39 KB
001 (128).jpg    30 KB
005 (38).jpg    33 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
I never have seen that, nor have I ever heard it reported by other forum members anywhere, so you could be right. EIther that or the original buckets were damaged and just those were replaced. To the best of my knowledge, the center skin today comes with buckets attached, and I would think they always have, but don't know for certain.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Never seen that. Any original BMC bonnets I have seen had headlight buckets. Possibly "buckets" were
crash damaged and a quick fix from a scrapped BE. Looks a bit "back street " body shop. I recall
back in 1976 in some down town Los Angeles "Spanish" body shop "places" seeing some such
things being "done"! PS My relatives were "horrified" I went into such "areas"! I think they delivered
Bondo by the ton in these areas!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
I do know from sanding off the green paint that the "Blue" paint job was substandard....the bonnet had a very thin coat of primer (if any!)
The good new is there was no filler in the body.
Onward !

shalleck Avatar
shalleck Steve H
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Substandard re-sprays seem to be common. When stripping the 'newer' paint off of the back end of my BE, there was a rust hand print where someone had apparently pushed it into the paint booth with their bare hands.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links