Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
I finally finished my BE engine, trans (Datsun) and brakes (disc)- And drove it for the first time in 25 years!! Yea for me. Now for the leak. I noticed a small drip from the goose neck to the radiator tank. Would it be inadvisable to use a stop leak type of product in the coolant? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks- Marc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
After all those years: take it to a radiator shop, have it pressure tested and cleaned and leaks sealed.

Desert Rat Avatar
Desert Rat Chris S.
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Agreed. Take it to a radiator shop for a proper fix.

Agnes, an original, unrestored, unmolested 1960 Austin Healey Sprite Bugeye, bought by my father in 1961 from the first owner.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
That’s exactly what I did. It was pressure tested. But, I guess he didn’t do a good job. Anyway I’m left with the problem, so take the radiator out, or a is a stop leak liquid of any use?

Marc

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Any "Stop Leak" product is intended to be a temporary fix.

In reply to # 208834 by Marscho That’s exactly what I did. It was pressure tested. But, I guess he didn’t do a good job. Anyway I’m left with the problem, so take the radiator out, or a is a stop leak liquid of any use?

Marc

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
Take it back to the shop, explain the problem, show them where the leak is if you can (have you pressurized the system to identify the leak is?) ask them to pressure check while you watch.

Not really that difficult, just an pain in the AXX but it can be dealt with.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
You really don't want to put much pressure on the downflow radiator. I wouldn't be surprised if the rad shop caused the leak. I split a seam in a perfect radiator by running too high pressure radiator cap.

Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
Yes, pulling it is a pain! I thought I was finally moving forward, but yet again another step back. Thanks

Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
Kurt,
That makes sense. I am running a 12-15 lb radiator cap. But maybe the pressure test weakened the solder joint at the goose neck. Then when I first ran the car for about a half hour the normal running pressure was enough to “crack” the joint just enough to leak. Thanks for the thoughts- Marc

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
I should have edited my prior comment to read: pulling the radiator and taking back for proper repair is an irritant, over heated engine on the side of the road is a pain! Don't forget to make sure the cap reaches down far enough to create a seal thus raising the boiling point of the coolant.

Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
Got it- Thanks.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 208853 by Marscho Kurt,
That makes sense. I am running a 12-15 lb radiator cap. But maybe the pressure test weakened the solder joint at the goose neck. Then when I first ran the car for about a half hour the normal running pressure was enough to “crack” the joint just enough to leak. Thanks for the thoughts- Marc

Exactly what I experienced. In hopes of raising the boiling point I fitted the high pressure cap. I think stock was about 4PSI which is now what I run. I also bulged the top tank from its original shape with the same cap.

Marscho Avatar
Marscho Marc S
Albion, CA, USA   USA
Thanks, I’ll have to get a lower pressure cap, in addition to fixing the now leaking radiator.- Marc

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
This chart shows the relationship of pressure to the boiling point:

https://durathermfluids.com/pdf/techpapers/pressure-boiling-point.pdf

Why the need to raise the point up to the 250 degree area?

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Thanks for that chart, Bob. I never realized the pressure made that much of a difference.

The reason to me is that all Brit cars I have owned in my life tended to be slightly prone to boiling. Used to always make sure we didn't need to stop in western South Dakota on I 90 because my MGB that would be running on the edge would puke its coolant out if I did. Course western So Dak is commonly over 100F in the summer.

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links