Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 203850 by Mark Smith A little more welding and it will be all sealed up in the trunk. Now I have to figure out how I want to support the bottom of the tank.

Maybe a couple of straps? That's what my Z71 uses and it's a heavy tank. You'd just have to think about attachment points of sufficient strength, but straps work well.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
My Suburban has a 44 gallon tank and two straps are all that is used to attach it to the chassis. I had to remove it last fall to intall a new fuel pump.

In reply to # 203859 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 203850 by Mark Smith A little more welding and it will be all sealed up in the trunk. Now I have to figure out how I want to support the bottom of the tank.

Maybe a couple of straps? That's what my Z71 uses and it's a heavy tank. You'd just have to think about attachment points of sufficient strength, but straps work well.

Joel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mark Smith Avatar
Graham, WA - Washington, USA   USA
Yeah the tank came with a couple of straps, the only reason I may not use them is because of the way I boxed in around the tank. I think to get the tank past the straps I will have to put a kink in the straps.But I may be over thinking it.

Mark Smith Avatar
This little air intake should complete about 95% of body modifications. Hopefully I will be able to get it sandblasted soon and start putting some bondo in to make it look like something is getting done. It has been a long road that I would like to see the end of.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
cold air.jpg    43.4 KB
cold air.jpg

cold air 2.jpg    45.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sisprite Geoff Hollands
Queensland, Australia   AUS
How much leg/foot room is in the passenger foot well?

Mark Smith Avatar
Geoff there is enough room for my wife to stretch out. It still goes back to the original firewall but it is boxed in above and on the side a bit but it isn't as bad as it looks.

Mark Smith Avatar
I took a little time away from building my son's first car (66 Mustang) and cut the slots for my flush mounted taillights.

Attachments:
mustang Nathaniells.jpg    55.4 KB
mustang Nathaniells.jpg

tail light 2.jpg    46.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 207201 by Mark Smith I took a little time away from building my son's first car (66 Mustang) and cut the slots for my flush mounted taillights.

Mark, what method did you use to cut those slots?

Joel

Member Services:
Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 207207 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 207201 by Mark Smith I took a little time away from building my son's first car (66 Mustang) and cut the slots for my flush mounted taillights.

Joel

I just used a cutoff wheel on my little grinder and a hand file. I was a little surprised a template was not provided with the lights. Sorry for the late response, no matter how many times I mark "not junk" for emails from this site microsoft still sends them to my junk folder.

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 207490 by Mark Smith

Joel

I just used a cutoff wheel on my little grinder and a hand file. I was a little surprised a template was not provided with the lights. Sorry for the late response, no matter how many times I mark "not junk" for emails from this site microsoft still sends them to my junk folder.

Very nice. A while back, I was trying to decide how to cut slots where the later models have them to let air through to the lower 60% of the Audi intercooler shown here, and got lots of suggestions. But someone suggested a cutoff wheel. Did you use anything as a guide or just mark and freehand it?

No worries about the delay. I would describe my progress as 'glacial.'

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
Intercooler installation (9).jpg    37.7 KB
Intercooler installation (9).jpg

Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 207510 by Yankeedriver

Joel

Very nice. A while back, I was trying to decide how to cut slots where the later models have them to let air through to the lower 60% of the Audi intercooler shown here, and got lots of suggestions. But someone suggested a cutoff wheel. Did you use anything as a guide or just mark and freehand it?

Joel

Joel I just put a level up, marked a line with the sharpie and cut freehand. I would have liked to had a later model one as well but a guy had one on craigslist for a good price so I bought it. I thought about cutting slots in it as well but the ones that comes with slots have a radius edge to give it more strength and I am not sure if that is needed or not. Let me know how it works out if you do it.

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 207511 by Mark Smith

Joel

Joel

Joel I just put a level up, marked a line with the sharpie and cut freehand. I would have liked to had a later model one as well but a guy had one on craigslist for a good price so I bought it. I thought about cutting slots in it as well but the ones that comes with slots have a radius edge to give it more strength and I am not sure if that is needed or not. Let me know how it works out if you do it.

Mark,

Oh, I didn't know about the radius edge. I had planned to use one of those flanging tools to create a little step (in) to accommodate a squarish U-channel gasket, to achieve a seal with the air dam (pictured - but without corresponding slot cut yet) and prevent it from scuffing what's left of my paint.

Anyway, I'll post a photo or two whenever I get around to cutting the slot.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
air dam test fit.jpg    42.7 KB
air dam test fit.jpg

Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 207692 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 207511 by Mark Smith

Joel

Joel

Mark,

Oh, I didn't know about the radius edge. I had planned to use one of those flanging tools to create a little step (in) to accommodate a squarish U-channel gasket, to achieve a seal with the air dam (pictured - but without corresponding slot cut yet) and prevent it from scuffing what's left of my paint.

Anyway, I'll post a photo or two whenever I get around to cutting the slot.

Joel

Yeah Joel I would like to see that air dam mounted and a video of you lighting up the tires! hot smiley

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 207824 by Mark Smith
... I'll post a photo or two whenever I get around to cutting the slot.

Joel

Yeah Joel I would like to see that air dam mounted and a video of you lighting up the tires! hot smiley
[/quote]

Mark - you got it. It've already built the corresponding webpage and reserved a spot for a video link. When made visible, the page will be titled 'DIY Supercharger' under the 'projects' drop-down menu on my website, linked below.

There will also be a flat-out 'fly by' clip on a local light aircraft strip (finally got permission after a long lobbying effort by a Bugeye-Owning pilot), and quite possibly a drone aerial clip of the car burning through a nice 'S' curve in the mountains near my house. I've just got to finish welding up and mailing out a batch of supercharger mounts so I can disassemble my engine for rebuild before strapping on the blower. Bottom end's a bit tired.

I'm hoping you'll post a video of your hot rod when it's done, too!

Joel

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links