SR20DET transplant

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mark Smith Avatar
Graham, WA - Washington, USA   USA
I searched the internet before I started this project to see if anyone else had put a SR20DET into a Sprite but I couldn't find anything so I thought I would show how I am doing it. I had a rotted out 63 that I used to see how much I had to remove before cutting into the one I am going to do.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
sprite (11).JPG    43.1 KB
sprite (11).JPG

Mark Smith Avatar
Here is the start of what I needed to remove.

Attachments:
sprite (10).JPG    50.3 KB
sprite (10).JPG

Mark Smith Avatar
I needed to put in some motor mount pads and add some square tubing because most of the sub frame will be cut out as well. I just started cutting into this yesterday so this is as far as I have gotten. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be the exhaust. The manifold is going to be right on top of the steering rod from what I can tell. I actually haven't even ordered a top mount manifold yet so I am hopping I can make it work. Then I will have to make a false firewall on the passenger side to run the exhaust pipe. If anyone knows of other places I can find that others have done this please let me know. And if you have some pointers I am all ears. How are the brakes on these? Should I be looking to upgrade them and if so to what?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
sprite (5).JPG    54.4 KB
sprite (5).JPG

sprite (3).JPG    44.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
Mark
I was wanting to use a SR20de in my 63 but a Miata 1800 came along so I'm using it. I did want to miss around with the det.
What are your plans for a rear end, you will need to change it.
I'm using a Miata IRS, Installing it was a real nightmare trying to make it fit and not be to wide.

Mark Smith Avatar
I saw your post on your rear end. I am not going to go that rout for sure. I have a mazda rx7 gsle rear end that I had narrowed down for a datsun roadster before I decided not to do that car. That is what i originally bought the motor for as well. For another 500 I could get it narrowed down again but I don't know if I am going to do that. A guy is going to trade me another sprite for the motor and trans out of mine. Supposedly the guy that had it before him raced it. I have no idea what it is though but I will probably see about that before I do anything else. Did you do anything with your front brakes.

ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
The RX7 is also the way I wanted to go but couldn't find one at want my budget would allow. Also considered a Datsun 510 rear end and they are also hard to come by. Didn't know at the time the Subaru use the same as the 510. I was able to By the Miata rear end for $150.
I'm not afraid of the Sprite disc brakes but I'm going to see if I can adept the Miata front brakes I've had a set given to me. I will bet running 15" wheels so I do have enough room tor larger disc.
Do keep us posted with your progress and pictures.
After installing the Miata rear end last summer I had to get away from it of a bet and now I'm having some health issues I should be getting cleared up in about a month and be able to get back to it. I would like to have it running by the fist couple of months of next year. I'm 75years old and would like to be able to drive it while I still can drive.

Mark Smith Avatar
Yeah I had no idea how much the mazda rear ends were. I paid 500 for mine then 650 I think it was to have it set up to go into the Datsun. Then I found out it needed rebuilt so that cost another 500. Thats more then double what I paid for the sprites.

I am sorry to hear about your health. I wish you Godspeed on your recovery with many miles behind the wheel of your sprite in the not so distant future.

Mark Smith Avatar
I got the motor mount pads in today and the motor sits just right. Now I have to build a transmission mount and then start on the sheet metal work. Going to have to order an exhaust manifold first though.

Attachments:
motor mounts (2).JPG    45.8 KB
motor mounts (2).JPG

motor mounts (1).JPG    47.2 KB
motor mounts (3).JPG    49.8 KB
motor mounts (4).JPG    50.8 KB
ccsct203 Avatar
ccsct203 Clay Smith
Hamden, CT, USA   USA
Wow
great project
I like it when rusted sptites are revived and upgrades are made like I see here
As far as front brakes go... I was looking for a "big brake kit" and ended up with the mgb calipers and spitfire rotors
It was a bolt kn fit except for a few minor trimmings
I documented some of these problems
as far as a rear goes.. I envy anyone who can install a mazda or another irs setup in their cars

Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 176814 by ccsct203 Wow
great project
I like it when rusted sptites are revived and upgrades are made like I see here
As far as front brakes go... I was looking for a "big brake kit" and ended up with the mgb calipers and spitfire rotors
It was a bolt kn fit except for a few minor trimmings
I documented some of these problems
as far as a rear goes.. I envy anyone who can install a mazda or another irs setup in their cars

Thanks Clay.

I would love to get your documentation on the front brakes. Do you have a post with that info?

ccsct203 Avatar
ccsct203 Clay Smith
Hamden, CT, USA   USA
I'm putting together a v8 sprite
look at my posts "being delivered tomorrow"
I documented some of the work done but I could answer any questions you have

bansheedave Avatar
bansheedave david ekleberry
East lansing, MI, USA   USA
I was wanting to put a quad 4 or an ecotech out of a Saturn ski or Pontiac solstice when I found my original motor was junk. But the wife said no since it's technically her car...lol

Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 176828 by ccsct203 I'm putting together a v8 sprite

That is a long tread you have going there. I will look some more later. I am curious about a couple of things. does that car have a heater? If so what kind and where is it? Also you mentioned you could have gone to a mustang II IFS. Did you do a price comparison?

Mark Smith Avatar
In reply to # 176838 by bansheedave I was wanting to put a quad 4 or an ecotech out of a Saturn ski or Pontiac solstice when I found my original motor was junk. But the wife said no since it's technically her car...lol

So what did you end up putting in to it?

ccsct203 Avatar
ccsct203 Clay Smith
Hamden, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 176849 by Mark Smith
In reply to # 176828 by ccsct203 I'm putting together a v8 sprite

That is a long tread you have going there. I will look some more later. I am curious about a couple of things. does that car have a heater? If so what kind and where is it? Also you mentioned you could have gone to a mustang II IFS. Did you do a price comparison?

No the car has no heater as of now
mini mania has a stand alone heater

http://www.minimania.com/part/24A1898-N/Value-Line-Custom-Heater-For-All-Year-Minis

Which I may go with
I have no clue where to put it in my car unless I put it under the dash

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links