SR20DET transplant

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mark Smith Avatar
Graham, WA - Washington, USA   USA
Well Joel sense my set up is after market it does not have anything to mount a switch to but I just looked at it and I think I could make something pretty easily so maybe I will go that route but I have many things in front of it to get to first. But thanks again for pointing that out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
No worries. My underlying/default design motto is 'less is more,' so drilling and tapping a hole and adding a jamb nut seemed like a decent option--and well within my meager fabrication range. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out You may well come up with something more elegant. A pressure-activated switch would of course be another option, and could be mounted virtually anywhere.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 08:52 AM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Mark Smith Avatar
I switched gears a little bit again and started the mock up of my rear end. I was a little worried when I first pulled the Mazda rear end out because I was not sure at first glance if the stands were going to clear the brake calipers. But It looks like there will be just enough room. I call them stands only because I don't know what they are called. Can anyone help me out on that?

I am sure glad that I did not sell that rear end now that I know for sure it is going to fit.

I have read on other places on the web that some say it is good to change the rear shocks to telescopic type and others say for road use it isn't worth it. Does anyone have any views on this?

I think I may work on my master cylinder set up a little more tomorrow.

Happy mothers day to all you mothers out there!

Attachments:
rearend (1).JPG    35.1 KB
rearend (1).JPG

rearend (2).JPG    42.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yankeedriver Avatar
I like telescoping shocks (have them at all four corners), and the rear conversion was dead simple. Like, minutes rather than hours.

I think I used Moss Motors' gas shock conversion, which works fine, #268-288. But looking back, the kit is overpriced, since we're talking four bolts and two shocks, for heaven's sake.

I'm a little embarrassed I didn't take the time to source some units from an existing OEM application. KYB basic gas shocks are thirty bucks, for example: no. KG4611A, but the upper mounts are wrong. With your welding skills, though, you could easily cut the rod, stick on a doughnut end, and get any gas shock with appropriate travel to fit.

Joel

Member Services:
Mark Smith Avatar
I haven't gotten much done lately but I did something today that I am very happy with. I did not like the way my door extensions looked on the top portion. It looked like a barn door so today I changed it up and gave it a rounded look on top. It flows much better I think. I also replaced the front valance and made a lower pan a few weeks ago.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P6250002.JPG    63.4 KB
P6250002.JPG

left front flare (3).JPG    61.8 KB
P6250003.JPG    49.3 KB
Mark Smith Avatar
I decided to beef up my frame a little more. I wouldn't want the car to get all twisted up.

Attachments:
P6260005.JPG    51.6 KB
P6260005.JPG

ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
Mark I'm doing the same on mine. I'm installing a Miata IRS in mine what a pain in the but it has been don't recommend anyone try it. I believe a subframe should be done on any of these oid cars be done if you are going to be putting a larger motor in them. I'm also installing a Miata 1800cc motor which I hope to get 200hp out of. the Sr20de is what I really wanted but budget said no way. And a guy came along and offered me a trde for a bug eye tub I had. No money had to change hands and any time money changes hands here my wife wants 1/2 of it.

Attachments:
FRAME WORK FOR MIAT REAR END 1.jpg    43.6 KB
FRAME WORK FOR MIAT REAR END 1.jpg

WHAT I STARTED WITH 1.jpg    43.5 KB
FRAME WORK FOR MIAT REAR END 1.jpg    43.6 KB
START OF SUB FRAME 1.jpg    48.6 KB
ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
Mark, I have not done anything on the front brakes my bug eye with the 18rg toyota motor had enough brakes to stop it in for autocross. The car I'm building now I plan on running 16" Miata wheels I;m going to try to adpat Miata brakes which look like they will work. I'm a retire machinist and I can make the adapters I will need to make the conversion.
Lately it seems I just can not find the time to work on it my grandkids are keeping me jumping. My 16 yr old grandson wants to help! so that could! make me get my but in gear and get started. I really want to have it running before the end of summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-28 09:43 PM by ronlcraven.

Mark Smith Avatar
Yeah Ron being a machinist would come in handy when building a car . Unfortunately for me I am not one so when it comes to brakes and rear ends I have to pay someone to set those up for me.
Are those pics that you posted of the current state of your car? If so you are very ambitious to get it done before the end of summer.

ronlcraven Avatar
ronlcraven Ron Craven
Clovis, Calif, USA   USA
I have installed many engine swaps and I do not see any real problems with the installation other than I no knowledge of the EFI system I would feel better if It had double side draft webbers on it.

Mark Smith Avatar
I hear you Ron. I am old school too. I have no knowledge of turbos or efi either but it is good to push yourself I think to learn new things when you can.

Mark Smith Avatar
I got a little further with my frame. Decided to put an additional plate under it and may fill the cavity with foam insulation for a little noise deadener.

Attachments:
P7090001.JPG    47.1 KB
P7090001.JPG

P7090002.JPG    56.4 KB
sisprite Geoff Hollands
Queensland, Australia   AUS
Any more progress on this project Mark?

Mark Smith Avatar
I am back in the saddle again. I finally have some time and a little money so lets see how far I get. I bought some parts from Frontline which include front and rear shock kits and a 4 pot front disc brake kit. I also just ordered a fuel cell that I will have to modify my trunk for.

I started looking at my wheel openings and decided I needed to something different so I could get a better reveal so I bought some 1/4" tubing to add to the opening. I wish I would have used that before I started the first time but live and learn.

Oh I also had my driveline made.

Attachments:
20180623_211412_resized.jpg    50.2 KB
20180623_211412_resized.jpg

20180623_211432_resized.jpg    42.3 KB
20180623_211452_resized.jpg    33.5 KB
20180623_211530_resized.jpg    40.2 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 202690 by Mark Smith I am back in the saddle again. I finally have some time and a little money so lets see how far I get. I bought some parts from Frontline which include front and rear shock kits and a 4 pot front disc brake kit. I also just ordered a fuel cell that I will have to modify my trunk for.

I started looking at my wheel openings and decided I needed to something different so I could get a better reveal so I bought some 1/4" tubing to add to the opening. I wish I would have used that before I started the first time but live and learn.

Oh I also had my driveline made.

Lookin' good, Mark! You're going to love the Frontline front suspension kit. I've had it for years, and it yields very predictable steering around corners over uneven pavement. My shocks are set to one click from the middle setting, I think, but of course your front end weight will be different with the SR200DET, hood and fender work, etc.

Can't wait to see her on the road!

Joel

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links