Stock Bugeye brake line union

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lorennerol Loren C
Seattle Area, WA, USA   USA
In the process of splitting the front and rear brake hydraulics for some added safety and need to join two lines with stock flares. Not being a flare expert, I'm casting about trying to find the correct union.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I believe that the brit bubble flare is unusual. You aren't likely to find it at the local hardware store. BTW, I've had plenty of single line brake failure's over my life and none that were really all that threatening. They always give a warning and in the case of Spridgets the cars are equipped with excellent hand brakes. Had a failure just a year ago in my driver 66 Midget. PO had bent the brake line down inside of the tunnel and it rubbed on the drive shaft till it wore a hole. Anyway, I was in heavy traffic at the time when it became apparent that the next time I applied the brakes there might not be any. I managed to get home 30 miles with the hand brake and careful driving....no problem.

Kurt

lorennerol Loren C
Seattle Area, WA, USA   USA
Thanks, Kurt. My head is spinning a bit after an hour of flare and flare tool education.

This PDF is helpful:http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

And this thread is also helpful: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1728004

Now I have to go figure out what I have to determine if I can find a union, or if I need to get a flare tool, cut, and re-flare for available unions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Look up Automec in UK. They supply loads of brake pipe "bits". AH spares will stock items.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Advance Auto has couplers for British flares on the shelf. They also sell ready made brake lines with British flares. The only hassle is that the lines are not exactly the lengths we need for our cars. They sell them in 20", 30", 40", and 50" lengths.

In reply to # 207916 by lorennerol Thanks, Kurt. My head is spinning a bit after an hour of flare and flare tool education.

This PDF is helpful:http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

And this thread is also helpful: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1728004

Now I have to go figure out what I have to determine if I can find a union, or if I need to get a flare tool, cut, and re-flare for available unions.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
IMHO, if you have a failure in one side of the two line system you still have the other line.....kinda like having a failure in a single line system and having a hand brake. I can't see that a switch is worth the trouble.....unless one is just looking for something to occupy ones time.grinning smiley

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
No handbrake on my car because of double bearing rear hubs. So I'm switching to a dual circuit master. smiling smiley

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Well, Rick, in your case, I agree.....not convinced on a street car though.

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
You might look into a Mini (NOT MINI) parts source. Later models had diagonal braking circuits. Sources could be Seven Enterprises or Mini Mania.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links