Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bugeyed Avatar
bugeyed Peter Braun
Southport, NC, USA   USA
Unless you want to support the business that does provide you with the quality you want and not just something that will do.

Motor safe!

Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pawied Avatar
pawied Paul Wied
Stockholm, Sweden   SWE
With cars as in life, pick your battles smiling smiley.
If budget conscientious, then get 'good enough' for non-critical parts smiling smiley.
Save the money for the critical parts cool smiley!
Then spare no expense spinning smiley sticking its tongue out!!

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I'm talking about value. I support any business that provides the product/service that I require at a price that I can afford and is appropriate to the project. If a business wants to be successful it must offer what people want and at the price they are willing to pay. If the business is unsuccessful because people do not know that their product is high quality and worth the money, then the business is failing due to lack of advertising/promotion or simply misunderstanding the market.

Can an 800lb gorilla company push smaller guys out of the market? Certainly, but I want those smaller companies to succeed not based on consumer pity but on merits they have over the 800 lb gorilla.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NEKBugeye Gold Member Joe H
Danville, USA   USA
Today I started my new "facelift"
Test fit my solid tonneau cover, Brooklands screen, headrest airfoil and aluminum bomber seat.
Next step, refurbish suspension, install 1275, ribcase and repaint (mimicking a WW2 Wildcat)
Winters are long in Vermont !

Attachments:
003 (38).jpg    55.3 KB
003 (38).jpg

002 (92).jpg    46 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
003 (58).jpg    43.6 KB
Danville, USA   USA
More progress...motor and rear end out...VERY tired 58 year old springs !
Was able to find a brand new set of 15 leaf springs a couple of years ago.
Onward !

Attachments:
001 (124).jpg    43.6 KB
001 (124).jpg

001 (125).jpg    40.3 KB
005 (38).jpg    44.5 KB
Danville, USA   USA
Front end out...another day of removing hydraulic lines, wiring and gauges and the fun work begins !

Attachments:
001 (126).jpg    47.7 KB
001 (126).jpg

pawied Avatar
pawied Paul Wied
Stockholm, Sweden   SWE
Been using a faucet handle taped to a square bar for my hood lock smileys with beer, but now finals bought and added a proper hood stanchion...
I also assembled the inner bearing onto the pinion in preparation for the carrier housing arrival.

/Paul

Attachments:
Pinion inner bearing.JPG    46 KB
Pinion inner bearing.JPG

Hood stanchion.JPG    41 KB
Danville, USA   USA
Finally stripped every bolt...amazing how many there are !
The empty shell weighs 300lbs (if anyone cares about that kind of stuff)
Ready for some wirebrushing and degreasing..anyone have a good suggestion for a degreaser ?
Having a crane sure is nice

Attachments:
005 (38).jpg    46.1 KB
005 (38).jpg

006 (22).jpg    42.8 KB
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Joe,
For a really good degreaser try KrudKutter...you can buy it in a ready mix spray or a gallon concentrate and it’s water based. I’ve used it on several cars and Jeeps and it breaks down grease and grease/dirt crud pretty fast. Now, if you want to soak parts use SuperClean full strength, but be very careful with aluminum and pot metal parts. It’s sodium hydroxide based and it will turn aluminum black if left in too long. It will also remove paint and make parts like heads and blocks look like new. Hap turned me on to it and I replaced my solvent based cleaner in my parts washer with it and haven’t looked back.
Rut

Danville, USA   USA
Thanks Rut...I googled it and it's available locally...tomorrow the fun begins !
Any thoughts on rust-reformer ?

Danville, USA   USA
I see KrudKutter makes a rust reformer also...and it's made by Rustoleum...another good name.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 207953 by NEKBugeye Thanks Rut...I googled it and it's available locally...tomorrow the fun begins !
Any thoughts on rust-reformer ?

Joe,
For sheetmetal, etc. I like to use phosphoric acid and I get it from Lowe’s...I think it’s made by Rustoleum. I used Ospho for a long time before finding this locally. I mix it in a spray bottle about 50:50 and it does a great job. For parts I want to soak I use Evaporust and I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, but it will remove zinc plating, paint, etc. if left too long. When I’m in the middle of restoring a car I use a large tub full of the stuff. If it’s something that blasting won’t hurt, I’ll put it in the blast cabinet first.
Rut

Danville, USA   USA
When I first bought my Bugeye I replaced the floors and pop riveted a patch over the only hole in the body (I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it and wanted any future owner to know what was there). This morning I fixed it right.
The car spent most of it's life in Alabama...and it shows. Amazingly solid.
Back to cleaning !

Attachments:
001 (126).jpg    47.6 KB
001 (126).jpg

002 (92).jpg    47.4 KB
003 (58).jpg    43.3 KB
Danville, USA   USA
Underside primed...

Attachments:
001 (126).jpg    42.4 KB
001 (126).jpg

Danville, USA   USA
Installing a flip nose so I re-purposed the bonnet latch...ready for some paint !

Attachments:
001 (127).jpg    42.1 KB
001 (127).jpg

002 (92).jpg    38.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links