AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Martin NL Avatar
Martin NL Martin R
Buitenkaag, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
Hello,

I,am Martin from the Netherlands and I am restoring a Austin Healey Sprite MK1 imported from California.
Sadly there is no chassis number on this car. The number i have on the shipping papers are wrong I checked those at the British Motor Hermitage.

The things I have are the licence plate 1BPP310 and the VIN D M V 45988 CA . (See pictures) I searched for information on the internet where I did not find information. The most important thing i am looking for is the chassisnummer of the car.
Al the other information wil be more than welcome.

Maybe somebody can help me to find the number which I need to got the car on the roads in the Netherlands.

Many thanks already!

Greetings Martin.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
AAEFE918-649D-4581-8D90-6938D5D7408A.jpeg    58 KB
AAEFE918-649D-4581-8D90-6938D5D7408A.jpeg

174EE459-998C-4020-B459-7CC114A84F51.jpeg    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RedDuck Avatar
RedDuck Gold Member Richard P.
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
Martin,
The license plate will do you no good because unlike many European countries the plate does not stay with the car forever. Usually when a car sells it gets a newly issued plate and if the car is sold to a new owner in a different state then old information is no longer available. The California VIN number was issued by the state because the original was probably lost during a restoration, engine replacement or a new paint job.
Other places to look on a Bugeye Sprite car for body ID number would be a plate on the inside right hand door pillar below the top hinge with a BAE prefix. A similar plate on the left hand pillar with a AN5 prefix but this is neither a chassis number nor a body number. The body number was also hand-written in crayon on the inside bonnet panel and on the rear axle tunnel but those numbers are usually long gone unless the car was never painted or restored, not likely since it has a state issued VIN#.

Richard

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Richard,

In the state of California the plate does stay with the car forever. The plate stays with the car as long as the car stays in California, no matter how many owners. Getting useful information from the California DMV will be interesting to say the least. I lived in California for many years and dealing with the DMV was always a load of fun. :-)

Martin,

Are the plates on the A-post door pillars still there? The British Motor Heritage people can use one of those numbers (don't remember which one) to provide the chassis number and many other details on your car.

In reply to # 199105 by RedDuck Martin,
The license plate will do you no good because unlike many European countries the plate does not stay with the car forever. Usually when a car sells it gets a newly issued plate and if the car is sold to a new owner in a different state then old information is no longer available. The California VIN number was issued by the state because the original was probably lost during a restoration, engine replacement or a new paint job.
Other places to look on a Bugeye Sprite car for body ID number would be a plate on the inside right hand door pillar below the top hinge with a BAE prefix. A similar plate on the left hand pillar with a AN5 prefix but this is neither a chassis number nor a body number. The body number was also hand-written in crayon on the inside bonnet panel and on the rear axle tunnel but those numbers are usually long gone unless the car was never painted or restored, not likely since it has a state issued VIN#.

Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Martin NL Avatar
Martin NL Martin R
Thanks for the reactions!

On the car are no Numbers left. I tried to get information from SearchQuarry , become a member and ASK for info about registration and VIN unfortunly with no result.

I am now trying to get any info from the shop who sold the car to me in 1997 in the Netherlands. Bud I am afraid it to long ago.

Thank you all and if there are suggestions or more info. I am happy to hear them

Greetings Martin.

MKIISpriteGuy Avatar
MKIISpriteGuy Richard H
Kent, WA, USA   USA
Martin:

Take a look for a stamped body/chassis number located on the upper left footwell panel. That would be under the main wire harness as it is routed from the bulkhead (firewall) down to the right side fender. On a Sprite MK1 this is claimed to be there is the reference manual that I use:
"Original Sprite & Midget", by Terry Horler (ISBN 0-7603-1449-7)

On page 43, there is a photo of a stamped number, and the caption states:
"Stamped into the upper footwell panel is yet another number. This is not the actual chassis number, although it does approximate to the chassis number. This identification is thought to have been stamped by John Thompson Motor Pressings, who manufactured the basic monocoque tub. "

Apparently the British Motor Heritage Trust offeres additional search services on body numbers. So, if you find that stamped number, you may be able to get help.

Regards,

Richard H

Binnman Ron C
Blessington, Wicklow, Ireland   IRL
Hi Martin,

No sure about this, but I recall a mention of a number being wtitten in crayon on the back of the dashboard on Mk 1 Sprites

Maybe another could chip in here to say Yea or Neigh to that idea before you rip out the dash.

Let the list know how you resolve this issue.

Ron

Martin NL Avatar
Martin NL Martin R
Thanks Ron,

I have looked at the back of the dash. Sadly the there are no more Numbers on it.
I am trying to search for a us title or e.u title from a car which is beyond restoration (scrab)
Or to try the other tip for the chassisnumber in the firewall.

Many Thanks for your help.

Martin

MKIISpriteGuy Avatar
MKIISpriteGuy Richard H
Kent, WA, USA   USA
Here is a photo from the Terry Horler book

Attachments:
8B0898C2-CE02-41B3-A271-F7442FDA2619.jpeg    40.9 KB
8B0898C2-CE02-41B3-A271-F7442FDA2619.jpeg

Martin NL Avatar
Martin NL Martin R
Thank you,

I am trying to find more info aboud my number.

Attachments:
253C5EA2-0CA6-42D0-975F-1C2571CB73AD.jpeg    21 KB
253C5EA2-0CA6-42D0-975F-1C2571CB73AD.jpeg

MKIISpriteGuy Avatar
MKIISpriteGuy Richard H
Kent, WA, USA   USA
Martin,

I recommend posting you chassis number questions on the Sprite forum. There are many more active members using that forum compared to this “Pub” forum

Richard H

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
When the car was imported to the NL, there should have been import documents showing proof of ownership and some kind of title document. in order to get it through customs. You said you have the shipping documents, do you have any documents showing ownership? Also what kind of documents did you get from the person that sold it to you to show they owned it and had authority to sell it to you?

The vehicle has a California assigned vehicle ID. That was issued as a replacement for the original chassis #, usually because the original numbers had been removed. It is now the official number of the car and I doubt any number you get from the California DMV will reference the original chassis number. The number you have, 25931, as far as I know was never recorded in an index with the chassis number, so having that number will not help you.

If you want to try your luck with the California numbers, it is usually easier to go through the AAA auto club rather than trying to go directly to the DMV. You can get their info here: https://www.calif.aaa.com/information/contact-us.html They will ask you for a zip code. Give them 90210, they like that one.

Good luck.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Spritey Avatar
Spritey Silver Member Ian Cassley
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 199666 by Binnman Hi Martin,

No sure about this, but I recall a mention of a number being wtitten in crayon on the back of the dashboard on Mk 1 Sprites

Maybe another could chip in here to say Yea or Neigh to that idea before you rip out the dash.

Let the list know how you resolve this issue.

Ron

You are correct sir. I just pulled the dash from my Bugeye and took a couple of photos. Assuming the dash is original the hand written text will tell you the color of the car when new, options installed at the factory and the chassis number (circled in red on my photo).

Attachments:
Dashboard 3.jpg    46.5 KB
Dashboard 3.jpg

Dashboard 2 marked up.jpg    38.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Martin NL Avatar
Martin NL Martin R
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response. I chect mine dash. Unfortunly it was cleaned before. I found another number in the chassis en have asked for the number at the British Motor Heritage and i was happy to hear it was possible to Discover the original number with this information.

Many Thanks for your tips and happy Miles in the claasics.

Thanks Martin.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links