AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Shenton79 Avatar
Shenton79 Shenton King
Fairfield, CT, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA
Hi all,

I am on the hunt for a running, driving, no rust, two seat roadster. The retail market is pricing high quality two seat 100-6s in the 50-60 range. Seems high to me, but maybe its because the BN7's desirability as the 2 seater for the 3000 series continues to grow anf fetch nice numbers. A hopped up ice blue on navy blue BN7 with a Jules frame in pristine condition pulled $62 from Bring A Trailer the other day. I suppose an original well documented and sorted pristine BN7 pulls at least $70K from within the private market, and up to around $80K in retail, no?

Ideal combination for me is black with red, blue with blue, or white with blue. Don't like two tone cove jobs. I do value heritage accuracy with numbers matching as well as paint codes, etc. I would be fine purchasing a nice car in an off color from my preferences as long as it is documented as being one of my preferred combos from the factory that I could change back one day. My budget is $35-45K.

My Dilemma
I can't seem to pull much from the private market with want ads and tire kicking, so really....here are my options as of now. None of course, fitting my preferences, but since I have a restoration shop in the family.....I can get a high quality exterior paint job for free - so long as the certificate tells the story of a true black, blue or white car. That said....an exterior correction would only be temporary until our shop had the time to complete a full blown re-paint to back to factory colors. While I have you.....how sacrilegious is it to paint a car a non factory color car if the car is number matching and a very nice example? I ask because I have the opportunity to buy a nice BN7 for $60K. Its WAY out of my budget, but if people agree that BN7s will continue to travel up the investment ladder....I can push my budget - but REALLY don't want to.

Looking for some insight and opinions...

1958 100-6 = $47,000.
Older restoration. Tired car. Way overpriced in my opinion. Guy said he would come down to around $40 - still high imo. Herritage Cert has been ordered on this one.

1959 100-6 = $54,000.
Seems like a well done car. Maybe worth in the low to mid 40's?

1960 Mk1 BN7 = $60,000.
A friend's car he bought at Amelia in 2010. Its basically been driven twice since the full resto. The resto itself is a little funny to me, with its dark red interior and red exterior. I thought if the cars were red, the interior options were black or red - not this deep maroon. Anyone have thoughts on this? I thought darker red interiors were for all black cars. Its odd right?

While $60K is a great price for a BN7, is this one too quirky? Or is there enough value in it to play with colors later? Im praying that the certificate comes back as black with dark red.

I mean, even though it would lieterally break my bank....should I not pass the BN7 up at $60? regardless of the colors.....? Or should I cool my jets and wait for the right 100-6 to come up?

Pics of the BN7, below:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-27 10:37 AM by Shenton79.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
BN7_1.JPG    62 KB
BN7_1.JPG

BN7_2.JPG    47.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I'd wait, keep looking more cars will come on the market in spring and summer that will be a better value. Reach out to the national clubs,
http://www.healeyclub.org/ You should be able find what your looking for in the right price range.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Shenton,

The BN7 in the pics is a really nice car and the money seems about right. Yes, the interior is non-stock but extremely well done in leather also non-stock. It's been my experience that a really well done non-stock restoration(like this one) doesn't really have much price affect one way or the other. This car is nicer than new a lot of buyers like that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekJ Avatar
DerekJ Derek Job
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Those red seats are pretty standard for the factory colour 'red' that is produced nowadays. (Not with black inserts of course). Price seems fair for a nut and bolt restoration.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Shenton,

I'm a little confused here, you say you don't like the two tone, but your ideal paint job is black with red coves? 35 to 45 puts you in BN4 country, the least expensive and least sought after of the big Healeys. That being said I've owned two BN4s, not because I couldn't afford something else, but because I like the BN4s and I painted them both in non-original colors that I liked. I don't believe in restoring a car for the next guy who's going to own it.

Shenton79 Avatar
Shenton79 Shenton King
Fairfield, CT, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA
I had a feeling that might be confusing to some. Sorry...

I meant black with red interior, not coves. All of the ideal color combinations listed above are exterior over interior colors. I really don’t like two tone, but if the right car presented itself at the right price I would deal with it and be okay with painting down the road.

awdyer Avatar
awdyer Bill Dyer
Grove, OK, USA   USA
I have a 100-6 that is a 2 seater in perfect condition that I am going to put on BAT soon. You might be interested.

Attachments:
3175BAA4-D28C-4E65-BC69-B3B4C0F0CD72.jpeg    66 KB
3175BAA4-D28C-4E65-BC69-B3B4C0F0CD72.jpeg

B009881C-D1D2-46FD-9641-1F0F206A0927.jpeg    56.6 KB
C5CB4B08-EEEF-4620-9F45-AD722541E8DA.jpeg    38.7 KB
C8187BBA-5E22-4A87-A460-5B23EA2E0737.jpeg    43.4 KB
cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
I just saw a nice Healey blue Mark1 BN7 on eBay, starting bid $35K, but with a reserve. Original white car, but rotisserie restored, so color change presumably complete. Seller says paint work not worthy of car, so perhaps not seeking top dollar.

As a guy restoring one, unless you really enjoy working on Healeys, I’d advise buying the best one you can afford. If $60K is about right for a nut and bolt restored car, I could get one faster delivering pizzas and using the money to buy one already done rather than doing my own.

Best of luck with your quest,

Craig

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links