3000 MK3 BJ8 Bonnet Badge

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stupot1943 Stuart Loveday
Safety Beach, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Has anybody found a company that can re glass enamel the red on the BJ8 Bonnet Badge. I have tried to use enamel paint which was carefully matched to the faded original but it will not adhere to the surface which has a sort of shiny crackle finish.
Any help appreciated.
Apparently the after market badge looks cheap and tatty in comparison with the original.

Stuart

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
layaj2 Andy Lay
Bisley, Surrey, UK   GBR
Stuart

Apparently these are the go to people:

Pamela David Enamels at www.badgecraft.co.uk

I've not used them yet myself although my badge is wearing out in one corner so I may well try them too.

cheers

Andy

bbh Andy S
Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK   GBR
They did my MkII badge and made an excellent job. Their lead time is quite long, but that is just a reflection on how busy they are. It is worth the wait.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andy

I am coming to the UK at the end of May and returning to OZ in late August. Do you think that's enough time for them to do the work.

bbh Andy S
I suspect not. I had my quotation for the work at end Oct 2016, with a delivery of end May 2017. I sent the badge off straight away, so about 6 months lead-time.

However it is probably worth contacting Derron ( Pamela David Enamels <enameller@googlemail.com> ) and see what he can do to fit with your schedule.

Bill F BJ7 Avatar
Bill F BJ7 Silver Member Bill Fulcher
Dorking, Surrey, UK   GBR
Andy, Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I appreciate different repairs may cost different amounts although I think they may have to remove and renew the whole of the enamelling..I have just touched up a large chip on mine with paint because of a daft sentimental wish to retain as much of the original as possible, but I'm not yet sure how it'll look when bolted back on! Bill

bbh Andy S
Bill,

I am not sure, but I think that because of the process involved, the badge is stripped of all of the old enamel and prepared from scratch, so that the new material can fully bond. It also gives them an opportunity to clean up the rest of the badge and re chrome.

Pre and post pictures of my badge is shown here : http://healeys.proboards.com/thread/28/bonnet-badge

The cost was circa 190 GBP, but as stated in the above post, I felt that this was worthwhile to keep the original badge with the hyphen, the curvature which exactly matched my shroud and the cut-out that I had made for the bonnet strap.

Andy

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Andy,

Repairing of the Cloisonne' on our front badge is not that uncommon and the technique of applying this finish to pins and other car badges seems to imply that it is not an uncommon finish to have repaired. However, although I do like the finish achieved by Pamela David Enamels on Andy S's badge (pictured), I can't believe that a more local service would not exist.

Although we now have 1 source for the service, along with a satisfaction recommendation, I will be looking for additional sources of the service as there are a number of Healey owners that would love to have this service performed at a reasonable cost. In most cases, if the cloisonne' is damaged, it is also likely for the chrome to be deteriorated and having a servicer that can service both conditions would be a requirement.

Please do not wait for my search results as it is only one of my activities and not on the top of my list. There are a number of sources for the creation of unique Cloisonne' badges and pins that are created in volume and very few, if any, would see benefit in providing one-of services.

I will post my findings when there are any,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Nokesville, VA, USA   USA
Hi Stuart

I have the same problem on my 67 BJ8 hood, errrr Bonnet. Mine is the cloisonne style. When I figure out how to remove the badge from the car (remove the grill? help!), I think I may have found a way to restore completely. The original color that is left will need to be removed before a polish out of the chrome which is in great shape.

I have found a product called "Ice Resin" on Amazon (search casting resin) that is normally used in the craft jewelry hobby. Mixes like epoxy, of course it IS an epoxy, supposed to stay crystal clear, and self doming. I am coupling this with transparent red dye, also on Amazon, made by Castin' Craft, made for this application. I am assuming I can just keep adding dye by the counted drop until I hit the color.

With a 15 to 20 min. working time, it fully sets in 8 to 12 hours and can be buffed if necessary.

I will post before and after results when I finish. At 16 bucks for both, it sure beats the repop at $269.00, and for me, more importantly, its original with a slight twist. Of course paint would be OK too but I like a challenge! Perfect is good!

Can anyone help me as to how to get to the back clips? I am dreading removing my perfect grill to get to it.

Happy Motoring!

Gary Harris

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Hi Gary,

That sounds like it has great potential. How are you going to match the color?

I am really interested to hear about your success and the process you use.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 03:16 PM by RAC68.

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Gary,

Although you can remove the grill for access to the nuts on the badge, if your arms are long enough I would access the nuts by laying under the car front and reaching way up behind and above the grill. Keep in mind that there is a harness routed just above the grill in the same area that could present some difficulty in gaining access to the nuts ... or even seeing them.

The Ice Resin you are using seems quite interesting and potential. A friend purchased what was advertised on ebay as a remanufactured version of the original badge, but when received, it was obvious that it was not cloisonné but some sort of epoxy. Although it initially looked quite good, it was not long before the coating separated from the shiny chrome it was bound to. Assuming Ice Resin is some sort of epoxy, how will you prepare the metal for a good bond?

Also, you mentioned adding a clear red dye drop by drop to hit the correct color. I perceive the original color to be more of a deep maroon rather then red. Is that how you perceive the color?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 03:15 PM by RAC68.

layaj2 Andy Lay
Bisley, Surrey, UK   GBR
Gary

I also await your resin experiment outcome with interest. In the meantime, has anyone seen the latest offers from AH Spares and Ahead 4 Healeys?

AH boast the following and A4H also include the hyphen in their MkII badge. If anyone in the UK is near them it may be worth paying them a visit.....

Andy

"Product Name: MK111 BONNET BADGE-enamel. Additional Information: ENAMEL FINISH

Description: Manufactured in the UK exclusively for A.H. Spares Ltd by one of the worlds finest badge manufactures, these magnificent badges are indistinguishable from the originals.Not to be compared with the other cheaper reproduction badge on the market.These are made using the original vitreous enamel and not a plastic substitute. Well worth the money".

Hi everyone

I have had a conversation with Derron at Pamela David Enamels in the UK and sent some pictures om my badge to him for comment. He is concerned with the underlying surface of my badge which looks like a chrome mottled surface.
He needs to see the badge before taking on the repair so I will remove it and take it back to the UK in June on my annual visit to see the grandchildren.

He is talking around 200 pounds to repair and can complete it in the 12 weeks that I am in the UK.

I also intend to visit AH Spares to have a look at their product. My concern is a new badge may not be an exact size replacement and not fit the car perfectly.

The Amazon product mentioned looks interesting but will wait to hear from anyone that has done the repair using it and see how close it is to the original finish.

Stuart Loveday

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the update. Although I am one for wanting to keep and repair rather then replace original components and appreciate that the Pamela David Enamels will probably do an excellent job, If AH Spares product is as good as pictured, I would opt for the immediate and use the extra 50 on your visit with your Grandchildren.

In my investigation of the process, the base must be treated to have the enamel layers adhere. Since our Healey badges require a substantial number of layers to achieve the build-up to fill the cavity to the proper level, making sure the first bonding layer adheres well is critical. Failure of this first layer is what has caused our problem and the reason we are looking for this service. This is also the reason I asked Gary how he was going to prepare the base for the Ice Resin he will be using.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 01:30 PM by RAC68.

bbh Andy S
Stuart,

When looking at the AH badge, as well as the overall finish, size, accuracy (including the positioning of the fixing studs) remember to compare the curvature against your original one. The last thing that you want is to either have the wings raised above the shroud or the centre of the badge in compression when tightened.

Andy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links