Sun Visor Adaptation
  This topic is about my 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8
zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1965 Land Rover Series IIA "Mrs. Merdle"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Louise"
I'm thinking of trying to install a sun visor on my BJ8. Has anyone adapted a visor from another British car? I was thinking of using an MGB or MG Midget visor from a 1976-80 car, but the big question is whether the mounting pivots could successfully be installed on the window frame with screws or rivets without damaging the glass.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
layaj2 Andy Lay
Bisley, Surrey, UK   GBR
Chris

I used this one from Moss Europe as I didn't want to drill into the windscreen frame. It's fine and fits with two Allen grub screws in moments, except you have to remove it when you want to put the top up. I have seen others where the frame has been drilled into and they look OK.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/sun-visor-mm240-300.html

I assume Moss USA will stock it too.

cheers

Andy

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Chris,

I believe it was during the late '70 that I installed the same Sun Visor acquired from MG Mitten as pictured on Andy's Moss-Europe reference. Although it did help a bit, wearing a good set of sun glasses was more convenient and less of a pain as the visor had to be removed and carefully stowed every time I raised the top.

Frustrated with the plastic visor, I considered an MG viser and was designing a mounting for the unit. However, I never found a way to secure a bracket that didn't require drilling into and tapping the frame in at least 2 locations for each visor (driver and passenger) as I felt that a single mount did not provide sufficient rigidity to eliminate excessive free-end drupe. Additionally, I found the MG visor was too wide for the Healey windshield and, if it ever fell when driving, would completely block forward vision (I guess the reason for the transparent attachment.

After a while of thought, I decided to rely on my sun glasses and forgot about trying to install visors.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1965 Land Rover Series IIA "Mrs. Merdle"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Louise"
Ray - I was trying to find someone with a Midget so I could get some measurements, and if it worked out, look at whether I could drill holes when I replace the windshield (due to pitting and delamination in the top corners, where a PO overtightened the clamps to pull a shrunken vinyl top shut)...but darker shades or flip-ups over my prescription glasses might be a lot easier. It seems that coming home from many summer tours here includes driving west, into the bright, setting sun.

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Chris,

I appreciate the issue which was also my reason to investigate the installation. It is not uncommon for a car show to be held close to the beach here and that means driving east in the morning. Either way, I found the issue could be addressed more easily with a brimmed hat pulled low and a set of good sun glasses.

Believe me, I thought it would be easy to design a set of visors and good brackets but it posed more issues then I had expected.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Wow, MG Mitten there's a name I haven't heard for years. The plexiglass visors that Moss sells now are not specific to Austin-Healey, but they used to make one that was, the installation slot was on the side of the mounting bracket instead of the top, this allowed you to put up the top without removing the visors.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links