Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
BJ8 just sold for over $140,000 at Barrett-Jackson auction. World record?
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
San Jose, CA, USA   USA
Most I've ever heard of ... what was so special about it? Got a link or lot#? Probably a Kurt Tanner 'resto.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 05:57 PM by Bob Spidell.

Stinky Robert R
Maricopa, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey 3000 "Stinky"
1960 Austin-Healey 3000 "Stinky"
I also saw that 143,000, , also the other day on bring a trailer 64 BJ8 86,000.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
Here it is. https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-MARK-III-BJ8-CONVERTIBLE-219067 Bob's probably right, looks like it's built to the Kurt Tanner "formula" of Golden Beige Metallic over red. No mention whether it's an original GBM car, though.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

RTaillieu Avatar
RTaillieu Rick Taillieu
Leamington, ON, Canada   CAN
Did anyone else notice that the speaker grille is upside down and the zip ties in the engine compartment?

Rick
'64 BJ8 P1

Rick
'64 BJ8 P1

CDNRDTRK Avatar
CDNRDTRK G G.
CALGARY, AB, Canada   CAN
That's more than likely a record for a BJ8 at Barrett Jackson.

I'm curious as to its serial number as if it's a late model it may justify the price.

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Plenty of non-original parts in the engine bay.....

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
Here's the chassis number: HBJ8L42154 Google it and you'll see a lengthy auction history with the last a B-J sale at Las Vegas in 2016. https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-MARK-III-BJ8-CONVERTIBLE-198617 The car was done by BMC in Philadelphia and was originally auctioned in 2006: https://www.soldbyauctions.com/homes/advert_details/JixDYFAtIyxVCmAK/

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 06:47 AM by HealeyRick.

bridunc Silver Member Brian Duncan
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
I have a '57 with a 3 liter motor. Looking at the pictures of this beautiful car, i noticed a hose on the intake manifold going over the engine into the right front wing area. Where does the hose go? I have the same intake, but mine has a plug where the hose is connected.

RTaillieu Avatar
RTaillieu Rick Taillieu
Leamington, ON, Canada   CAN
Brian,

That's the vacuum line to the servo.

Rick
'64 BJ8 P1

Rick
'64 BJ8 P1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 04:19 PM by RTaillieu.

zayante Avatar
zayante Chris Attias
Felton, CA, USA   USA
It takes two bidders to get that kind of result, and I'm assuming that the auction didn't involve "chandelier bidding." BJ auctions do seem to generate a lot of irrational exuberance. Although I wish it were so, I don't think it defines the market. I'd be curious to know how much milage the owners put on it between restoration and its auction appearances. I'm not surprised that one of the owners did not correct the speaker grill orientation - clearly not Healey aficionados (or serious concours entrants.)

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
While pulling down record numbers at auction is something that benefits all of us it's also a double edged sword. As record sale prices are set it begins to attract investors who have no real interest in the marque except for what kind of profit can be made. This inevitably drives up the value and prices a lot of enthusiasts out of the market. And as owners our choices, because of increasing value, become more and more limited as far as what modifications we can make or how we use the car. Nowadays for example nobody in there right mind would hotrod a 300SL Gullwing Coupe by putting a big V8 in it.

This is why I have now have a Jensen-Healey, they're cheap and fun, they have Healey DNA and can be driven around without worrying about a dent or parking lot ding or getting stolen, exactly why I started my affair with Austin-Healeys back in the early '70s. Sadly my Austin-Healey mostly sits in the garage under a cover.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links