Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oppie Avatar
oppie Gold Member Don Oppliger
Lenexa, KS, USA   USA
How easy/hard is removing & replacing the front grille & cowl on a BJ8? Mine is pitted bad enough to really bother me.
If I remove the radiator does that make it any easier.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC01459.JPG    49.2 KB
DSC01459.JPG

Htimsc Avatar
Htimsc Chris Smith
Portola Valley, USA   USA
I had to take out the radiator after they delivered my car (knocked off the petcock on the bottom, and incidentally left open the windows and soaked the inside carpets - never use that company!), and while I’m not a mechanic/technician, found it reasonably easy to do. Whilst it was out, I took a good look around in there and took pix. I would observe that getting the grill out is relatively easier with the radiator out. Disconnect hoses, (hardest part was the bottom drain, locate your clamps so you can get at them when reinstalling!) drain, remove wheels to get clearer access to four bottom bolts, unbolt, the two top ones. Take care in removing radiator otherwise you might damage fins (!), that way you can get to the grill easier. You may have to remove air guides if you have them. I noted that the grill assembly is pretty complicated as a unit. Articles say that owners chrome the bars, but that is not technically correct to the original spec. Bling is not always right...
Maybe an easier way, but that’s my two bits worth.

Kounto Koen Verbeeck
Malle, Antwerp, Belgium   BEL
Just did the excersise yesterday, no need to remove the radiator but removing the front wheels and air guides will give you enough access from the side.

It will take/need time, easier to do with 2 people than alone.

Good luck !

Kind regards,

Koen from Belgium

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Don,

Koen is right on. As I remember, you would gain access by first raising the front of the car, removing the front wheels and access panels (located toward the front inside of each wheel well. Next, I think I would remove the 2 air directing panels and look to see how the wiring harnesses are routed across the upper inside lip of the cowl and move if necessary to make sure they are not in the way. Now, with head and upper body under the car, I would start removing the non-simplistic mounting bolts from the grill and cowl mounts. Carefully separate the grill from the grill surround and, although clumsy, adjust its positioning to withdraw it through the grill opening or through the bottom of the car … which ever is easier.

Good luck and I hope my memory is accurate as it was at least 10 year since I did this.
Ray(64BJ8P1)

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Chris,

Where are the photos from behind the grill that you speak of?

Always include pics whenever possible.

Thanks,
Peter

Kounto Koen Verbeeck
Malle, Antwerp, Belgium   BEL
This are my side-view pictures with just the air guides off as well as the final result, without taking the radiator out.

Kind regards,

Koen

Attachments:
IMG_6592.JPG    43.2 KB
IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG    32.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_6594.JPG    37.2 KB
IMG_6597.JPG    47 KB
oppie Avatar
oppie Gold Member Don Oppliger
Lenexa, KS, USA   USA
Koen, thank you those photos are very helpful!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links