Towing with an A frame

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Davidbh David H
Dalbeattie, Kircudbrightshire, UK   GBR
I have used a frames in the past to tow old land rovers.

Has anyone experience of towing a big Healey with an a frame and if so where did you attach it to?

Thanks for any input.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
blusebring59 Neil Anderson
Malta, IL, USA   USA
I made one thirtysome years ago. I made it to attach to the same holes the bumper brackets attach to on the outside of front frame. I made a separate assembly to attach to the car and then arms with a trailer hitch receiver that bolts to that. I may have over engineered it, but it was strong and worked well. I only used it a few times, but it beat having to use a trailer, which I didn't have at the time.

I just dug it out of a corner of my shop and can take photos later, if you wish.

Neil Anderson

Davidbh David H
Neil, photos would be great. Better over engineered than under!!
David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Malta, IL, USA   USA
David,

Here are the photos I promised. This is my version of a flat towing set-up for a Big Healey. I misspoke yesterday when I said my towing receiver attaches to the bumper bracket mount holes on the front frame. It attaches to the INSIDE of the frame rails using the same threaded bushings that the bumper brackets attach to on the outside of the frame rails. This makes it possible to flat tow a Healey without removing the front bumper.

I don't have my car in my shop to check the fit, but the receiver fabrications have to miss the anti-roll bar and also drop down lower to go below the shroud with plenty of clearance. The cross bar was added to strengthen the front pulling points. The front attachments were also made to pivot up and down so that the Healey and tow vehicle ride separately. All the steel is solid bar stock, but it probably could be designed differently using plate steel for the attachments to the Healey and heavy wall tubing or angle iron for the rest of it. This was built when I was a lot younger and just learning about fabrication.

For towing, you probably should disconnect the driveshaft (prop shaft) from the diff. Also, do not restrict the turning of the steering wheel. The front road wheels will follow the tow vehicle whether it is going straight or turning a corner.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Neil

Attachments:
IMG_5569.JPG    14.5 KB
IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG    20.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_5576.JPG    21.2 KB
IMG_5575.JPG    25.5 KB
Malta, IL, USA   USA
David,

Here are two more pics of the fabrications that attach to the Healey. They are heavy and probably overbuilt, but you are trying to tow a sizable investment, even if it is still in project mode, and especially if it is a finished car.

Cheers.

Neil

Attachments:
IMG_5574.JPG    23.2 KB
IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5577.JPG    21.3 KB
Davidbh David H
Neil,
The photos are great. Thank you so much.
As you surmise this is the beginning of a project. My BJ 8 currently finishing a rebuild in Johannesburg and will be repatriated to Scotland and the aim is to go places some of which, are too far for “her indoors” to accompany in the healey!!
David

healeymanjim james shope
henderson, nevada, USA   USA
towed my healey over 900 miles with a towbar my brother built for me. attaches to the towing eyes on inside of frame rails. still have it and would sell it to you if the freight was not so expensive.

Davidbh David H
Jim
Thanks for the info and offer.
Pity we can’t teleport it!
David

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links