AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Hello fellow Healeyians. I just finished installing a Smitty conversion in my BT7 and I noticed that my speedometer is reading much slower than it was with the original Healey gearbox. This is something that isn't mentioned anywhere in the instruction that come with the Smitty kit. Is there something else that I will need to buy to remedy this or do I have to get my speedometer re calibrated?
Thanks,
Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CaptRandy Avatar
CaptRandy Randy Alkins
Warrington, Pa, USA   USA
Probably the drive gear in the Toyota trans is wrong ## I went to a GPS Speedhut unit.

mfawcett Avatar
mfawcett Mark Fawcett
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA   USA
Gear drive in the Toyota trans is wrong. The diff ratio for the Healey is 3.91:1 (I think). A Toyota trans and diff ratios would have been different than the Healey. So you'll need to change the drive gear in the Toyota trans to adjust for the new ratios. I changed the rear end in my car to 3.54 so I can't tell you which gear drive you would need.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HotRod416 Barry K
Oconomowoc, WI, USA   USA
I made the swap as you did and the drive gear didn't mesh with the internals. I avoided the whole problem by mounting a GPS type unit that provides map location and a speed that matched the automated speed signs positioned along side roads by law enforcement.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Thanks for the info guys.

Mark, My car has 3.54 gears in the rear end as well. It came that way from the factory as it was a 4 speed only car with disc wheels. I'm going to send you a private email.
Thanks,
Pete

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
If you want to keep your original speedometer, the two simplest choices are to contact Nisonger: http://www.nisonger.com/ for instructions for the measurements you'll need to have them recalibrate the speedo and send it off to them. The other possibility is this GPS unit that works with your original speedo: https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links