Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Taipan Tim B
Melbourne, VIC, Australia   AUS
Hi all
Just over midway through the tear down now, I am about to pull the motor out of my BJ8.

If anybody else has their 3000 motor out, can they please tell me the measurements between the engine mounts on the chassis ? ( inner and outer measures would be good please )

I am going to build a cradle / dolly for the engine while it is out of the car so that i can move it around my cramped garage. However it would be best to know the width to make my cradle. Length isn't such a big issue, but the width could be a make or break measurement..

thanks
t

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Taipan Tim B
have done a few google searches and found some chassis drawings..

is that the right approach ?

Scooter54 Avatar
Scooter54 Bob Johnson
Bethesda, MD, USA   USA
I've got mine out - I'll measure this afternoon and get back to you with some photos as well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Here are a couple of pics that one of my customers made for his engine to transport it to a friend to rebuild. He gave it to me after we pulled the engine then reinstalled it after the rebuild. The overall dimensions are about 22” square and 15” between the 4x4 pedestals for the engine mounts. The rear of the engine just sat on the wood cross member. Don’t worry about drilling the holes for the lag bolts for the motor mounts until the engine is setting in place. It is very sturdy and since it is on casters you can move it anywhere.
John

Attachments:
581B9F9D-ACD5-4D56-B8B1-033123759BE4.jpeg    52.8 KB
581B9F9D-ACD5-4D56-B8B1-033123759BE4.jpeg

FC2F3E5A-CEBE-4ABF-876E-6BE7A8649329.jpeg    60.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Taipan Tim B
That's a great crate you have there John winking smiley

thanks kindly Bob. It would be good to hear your measures too. I am actually going to get my 13 year old son to build this in his school woodwork shop as a project for school.

cheers
t

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Gulf Breeze, FL, USA   USA
I built one of these years ago, just checked my archives and apparently did not save the plans. It works great and if I didn't have a tranny on it now I could get dimensions. Fairly certain I got it from the Autox.net site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-26 01:48 PM by tld6008.

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Gulf Breeze, FL, USA   USA

Taipan Tim B
In reply to # 201927 by tld6008 One second thought
http://www.healey6.com/Technical/Engine%20Dolly.pdf
Perfect
Funny enough I was copying that entire site as we speak...

Had a miserable day pulling the engine. Because by engine hoist has wheels of a larger size, the hoist wouldn't go under the car without a jack. But now the car is too high for the engine to squeeze up.

Oh well. the chains on the hoist will have to be shorter and try again next weekend.

Taipan Tim B
@John Jones
i followed your approach somewhat - thanks. I made a large base to handle engine / trans and Od - with 100mm x 100mm cypress posts. Outer dimensions are 580mm x 1700mm.

Lots of reinforcement, with castor wheels.

Still underway but i reckon it will do the job. Will try and post photos but I'm on a plane this saturday so I might be squeezed for time.
t

Drone Dog TL Wright
Seaford, DE, USA   USA
i had a crate the rebuilt tran came in so i put some wheels on the bottom and an extra piece of 3/4 ply on top. then blocked it up at the motor mounts. laid a board under the rear plate to keep weight off the oil pan. worked fine for putting on and trying parts until i was ready to put the engine in. it was also a nice height so i could work on it standing up.

Attachments:
DSCN0395.JPG    63.1 KB
DSCN0395.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links