AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Roadster rear view mirror
  This topic is about my 1961 Austin-Healey 3000
Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
Since it's about 6 weeks and counting since I installed this, I thought it's safe to share. To make using the period luggage rack usable without completely blocking the view directly behind on a BT7, I puzzled over how to get the mirror higher without drilling any holes or interfering with mounting the top. It occurred to me that I had mounted a rather heavy badge to a vertical surface of my E-Type many years ago using 3M exterior trim tape and it has survived all sorts of weather without falling off. Using the standard mirror post, I cleaned the top windshield frame and base of the post thoroughly with a wax & silicone remover, applied two strips of tape, and used two spring clamps when putting the post in place. I allowed it to set in the sun for a couple of hours before removing the clamps. So far so good, but I do carry the machine screws with me in case it falls off and I have to re-mount it on the dash. smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Mirror.jpg    41.2 KB
Mirror.jpg

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, CA, USA   USA
Jack, it looks like you removed your ash tray. I did that also so I could easily remove the entire tunnel carpet. Was that your thought?

Jack T Avatar
Rob, I just never felt like cutting a hole in the carpet for something that I would never use. It's not even big enough to serve as a good coin holder. The ashtray looks quite nice on the shelf.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Jack,

Great minds think alike!!!!!
or something like that...

Check this out...
I never liked the original location of the rear view mirror because
it always blocked my view of the right front corner when I was turning,
and it wasn't high enough to see over the tonneau cover because I had raised that slightly
and reclined the seats 15 degrees.

The mirror was all but useless until I made this modification.

Unlike your idea I didn't want the mirror sticking out that far and picking up vibrations which might
cause a blurry image so I went for the Stubby Model #1.
The "Monkeying Around" quotient went off the scale but it was still fun and
it's been on there for 3 or 4 years so far so good.
Preparation and cleaning of the area is very important and you can use either 3M UHB or VHB Tape.

All the best,
Peter

Attachments:
Mirror Mod.jpg    234 KB
Mirror Mod.jpg

DSCN2465.JPG    46 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jack T Avatar
Peter,

I remember having looked at your installation previously but I was looking for a much simpler solution. smiling smiley I had considered one of the kits used for attaching mirrors in modern cars to the glass, but it dawned on me to at least give the trim tape a try. Glad I did. I plan to cut the heads off a couple phillips oval head screws and stick them in the holes to give the appearance the base is bolted to the frame.

Regards,

Jack

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
If rearward visibility is your concern and you don't mind going a little non-stock I would suggest you try a Wink mirror. I had one on my Healey for about six years(pre-restoration). No blind spots, complete rearward visibility, you even see yourself.

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Come on Kevin, you know the saying.......
"a photo is worth a thousand words".

I never heard of the 'wink mirrors' but I worked with a guy named Wink Whitney!

sliproc Avatar
Peter,

You must be younger than you look, Wink mirrors, like Baby Tornados were very popular(especially with road racers)in the '70s & '80s. They made 4 and 5 panel models and have over the years been knocked off by a number of companies. They can be found at just about any auto parts store and Home Depot for that matter. I don't presently have one so I can't post a picture. You might try Google if you want to see what one looks like.

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Were those the long mirrors that had a series of angled lenses?

I don't need to see myself but that style would be a little to much in the Healey, that's why I went with
the original mirror but chopped up. I'm 69.

sliproc Avatar
Peter,

Yup, that's the one. It's a tradeoff, they're large and take up a lot of space but provide outstanding rearward visibility. I was going for originality when I restored my Healey which is why I chose a stock dash mirror over the Wink. BTW, you actually look much younger than your 69yrs.

petnatcar Avatar
Watertown, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Kevin,
must be the tennis, cycling and cross country skiing.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links