Big Healey boot lid rust repair

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zenyrich Richard M
West Hempstead, NY, USA   USA
I'm in the process of repairing the bottom rusted section in the boot lid of my 1964 BJ8, phase 1. I purchased the repair section from Moss.

After removing the inner reinforcement piece and cutting out the rust from the boot lid, I was able to weld in the repair piece with some careful measurements.

Now I also need to repair the reinforcement piece which is also rusted in the same area, before putting it all back together. However Moss doesn't have a repair section for this. Any ideas out there? Do I need to fabricate a piece?
I was thinking of buying another boot lid repair section from Moss ($90), cut it to fit and use it for the reinforcement piece. Does anyone know if this will work?

thanks,
Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
NJ, Jersey Shore, USA   USA
Hi Rich,

I would go on the internet to Kilmartin Automotive Sheetmetal out of Australia (www.kas-kilmartin.com.au/) and send them an email with your part request an a distributor in the U.S. However, since you have done the hard part, you may want to try to create the part yourself.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1) since new

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 02:17 PM by RAC68.

zenyrich Richard M
Thanks Ray. I will give Kilmartin a try, even if it's just to see what parts they carry.

I was looking for an easier way out, but I'm afraid you may be right; I may end up creating the part myself.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Richard,
You might want to see if there is a heating and air conditioning shop or sheet metal shop in your area. They typically have the metal and the tools to fabricate the piece you'll need. I've done this in the past when replacements weren't available and I didn't have the necessary tools to make it myself. If you tell them what you are doing it usually generates some interest and you might even get it done for nothing depending on how much time it takes. These shops will generally let you go through their scrap pile to grab metal for any small parts that you need to fabricate.
Pete

zenyrich Richard M
Thanks for the tip Pete. I will take a look around.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links