Need Help With Rear Wire Harness Routing for BN7 or Probably Any 6 Cyl

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
I'm installing a new wiring harness in my BN7 which was stripped to the bare chassis. Everything in the front falls into place pretty well, and I've found lots of helpful pictures here and elsewhere. I am back along the left side chassis rail to the fuel pump, and wondering where I go from here. It looks like the main harness to attach to the tail light and license light might go through an approx. 3/4" hole in the rear bulkhead, next to the battery cutoff switch, then I am thinking through the boot somehow, and I think the tail light harness attaches to the cross piece at the bottom of the boot opening. That's what I think, anyway. Anyone have nice pictures of rear wiring to share, or even a description of how things are routed?

Thanks,

Craig

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Wiring 1.jpg    46.1 KB
Wiring 1.jpg

Wiring 2.jpg    37.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
The harness goes thru the 3/4" hole in the boot bulkhead that's at the inner, upper corner of the left hand boot box. It then goes over the top of the boot box under and secured by two metal tabs on the box. From there it goes down to the boot floor on the outboard side of the left rear chassis extension. It follows the bottom of the rear chassis extension up to the rear skirt rail. Branches off to the light along the skirt rail. If you need pics I'll try to take and post some tomorrow.

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Richard.

Through these two clips (first picture)? Found clips above bulkhead, but wouldn't have enough wire to reach left tail light where it branches to harness for license light and right tail light.

Oddly (second picture) white/black wire that goes from battery switch to distributor comes out of harness with left tail light wires. My old harness has it exiting next to the hole in the rear bulkhead.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Wiring 3.jpg    37.9 KB
Wiring 3.jpg

Wiring 4.jpg    30.6 KB
RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
Craig, One thing I see right away is the hole in the boot bulkhead for the harness is about 3 inches higher and 1 inch further inboard. My original (BN6) boot bulkhead and a replacement from Kilmartin both have the hole right in the middle of the reinforcement dimple that's at the inner top of the boot box. Altogether that's about 7 inches longer route up and back down. Also, the fuel tank sender wire goes thru a hole that's about 10 1/2 inches inboard of the top of the left boot box. It's a mystery to me why the ignition wire would run all the way out to the end of the harness. Who did you source your new harness from? I have a new one that I'll be installing at some point. I think I'll pull it out of the bag and see what mine looks like. Rich

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
My harness has the same (white with black trace) ignition wire extending all the way out the back of the harness. Got it from AHSpares. I think they routed it that way to make it universal BN6 and BN7 - BJ7. The battery switch is on the right side of the boot on a panel above the battery on the four seaters. I'll modify my harness to route it properly for the two seater when I install it.

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Rich: Thanks again. I bought my harness from Moss, but it was marked "made in UK" so could have been from Spares. Same part number for the BT7 and BJ7 (four seat cars) though. I recall battery cutoff switch near battery in right rear boot in four seaters I've owned, so I think you are right about the distributor wire. Should be able to remedy it with a small incision. Interesting point about the fuel sender wire though. Pretty sure mine just routs through the boot, but will look for another hole in the bulkhead.

tld6008 Avatar
tld6008 Tim Davis
Gulf Breeze, FL, USA   USA
Here are some photos of my 1960 BN7. The harness is not original but replaced but the bulkhead is. You can see the penetration in the inside shot. I point to approx where the penetration is from the trunk view. The harness runs along top of the box section held by metal tabs then along the bottom of the bumper bracket structure. You can see where it exits near the tail light area.

Attachments:
SAM_1396.JPG    39.7 KB
SAM_1396.JPG

SAM_1397.JPG    46.8 KB
SAM_1398.JPG    64.1 KB
SAM_1399.JPG    45.7 KB
cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Tim, that looks the same as mine from underneath. Very helpful, especially the last picture showing the grounding point on the rear cross piece at the bottom of the boot opening.

This stuff all looks so simple when I take it apart, but I'm learning to take a lot more notes and pictures in the early stages.

Love the Mark 1 BN7!

Craig

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links