Rumplestilstskin ...Time to wake! 1954 100-4

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
If bubbles were present, you had some pressure behind the oil, possibly coolant, possible cylinder pressure.

I've never had much luck with copper-coat type products on metal head gaskets. I'd be inclined to use something along
the lines of Permatex Hi Tack brush-on sealant applied judiciously around that oil hole and all the coolant holes along that side of the block, both sides of gasket.

I have read some say that the MLS-type gasket doesn't have the same seeping issue but have no first hand knowledge
with them.

As I plan to do a head swap over winter, I may do a little experimenting.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
The head is back from the machine shop and the head gasket kit is on the way so I can hopefully start putting this thing back together on Sunday.

The wiring.... what can I say about the wiring other than I was trying to ignore it and praying that it all worked as it was. And for a bried moment, I thought it would. But some issues were found during the test drive that made me look into the system. The entirely white-wired wire-nut spliced system.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First thing I had to deal with was the fact that ALL circuits were attached to one fuse. The feed to the fuse was too small of a gauge and with a single 50 amp fuse, it might as well not have been fused at all.

So, this went in. Every circuit gets it's own 15 amp fuse. Also added a fuse to the fuel pump that for reasons that elude me never had one from the factory?

After that, for a few glorious moments, I had everything working except for the windshield wipers. Then the headlights stopped working. So I traced power from the switch all the way to the headlights themselves.

Wiring in headlight buckets.

Nice exposed solder on the PS I did not remove the tape, it was never there!

The green wire fell out of the socket as the bulb moved. Have not dared look under the taped up splices in here.

That said, the real reason the lights don't work is because they are burned out on both filaments and both lights. What are the odds? Actually pretty good. I did some research and it seems that sealed beams are not really meant to last forever, and over time will lose their seal. This means that when they are first turned on after a long hiatus, they will work for a while. A short while. The Corvette concourse guys, who might be the most extreme whackjobs at the originality game, stress over this to no end even putting forth ways to re-establish vacuum in old NOS bulbs before they put power to them.

So, new bulb sockets and new sealed beams on the list.[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Me and the wipers have agreed to disagree for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 10:33 AM by NOHOME.

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
She is going back together. Head back from the machine shop and picked up the gasket set on Saturday.

Got the Valves lapped and back in and head attached to the block.

Since the lever style valve spring compressor was not being very useful for assembly, made this handy tool out of stuff laying about. Basically just a notched piece of tube with a side cut out and tacked welded to a C-Clamp. Worked like it was made for the job.

Gotta stop looking for trouble. Since there was some evidence of blow-out on the intake'exhasut gasket, I ran the manifold over the flat table with some sandpaper stuck on the table. The middle flange is a bit sketchy on the top margin. Might spend another few minutes trying to clean that up and for sure will use some sealant designed for the task

If all goes well I should be driving her home next week-end

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
Stuff like that eroded exhaust flange keeps me up at night. It might have sealed with a new gasket and some high-heat gasket sealer. Maybe.

This looks a lot more confidence inspiring.grinning smiley

Pete

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
All back together again. Should fire it up tonight barring the purchase of a classic Mustang that I am looking at after work. Last item will be to solder in new headlight plugs to replace the crappy ones currently in residence.

With any luck, I will be going for a cold one-hour drive this week-end.

Pete

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, IL, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Looking good!

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
Had the nicest possible two hour long topless drive fall drive to return the car to it's home. The car seemed to be having a great time and so did I.

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
And by the way...Thanks to everyone for the details on getting the car back on the road. Manuals and specs just cant beat the concentration of experience this place can provide.

Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links