AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Hi All,

Fellow poster and Concours Committee Technical Chairman Michael Salter and I are trying to determine when the the Aluminum bonnets on early BN1s first received the side to side cross brace for strength and stiffening. Initially we knew that body no. 724 did not have this brace, and no. 1267 did have one... See photos.

We now know that body nos. 877 and 1000 did have the cross brace, so we've narrowed it down quite a bit. 877 - 724 = 153 body numbers. Of course we realize that 100s were not always built in strict body number order, so there may be some overlap either way.

So, is there anyone out there with a BN1, body no. 725 to 876 with their original bonnet? If so send a photo of the back side.

FYI, the original cross brace was an after thought/ modification and attached underneath the "V" brace with four truss head screws. We believe that when the aluminum bonnet changed to steel at body no. 3397 the cross brace was redesigned, flattened in the middle and placed between the "V" brace and the bonnet skin. See photo.

Thanks,

Curt Arndt
Austin Healey Concours Registry
'55 BN1 (#7197), '60 AN5 :{)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
No. 724's Original Bonnet.jpg    47.2 KB
No. 724's Original Bonnet.jpg

No. 1267's Original Bonnet-3.jpg    24.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
No. 1000-1.JPG    32.8 KB
Steel Bonnet.jpg    38.8 KB
BobAH100 Bob Markovich
Patterson, NY, USA   USA
My original early (Sept) '53 with original alloy hood (er, bonnet) has a side brace that looks like the one on the BLACK underside aboveā€”flat on the OUTSIDE. Lots of differences for these earliest Healeys.

For instance, the original alloy trunk lids (okay, boot lid) were especially prone to bending and cracking at the screw-mounts for the prop. You'll typically see some signs of a repair even on the later steel lids for 100s. I repositioned the one on mine (after repair) and epoxied it in place to avoid the same fate. Also of note: For these early alloy trunks, the weatherstrip glues down to the SHROUD, not the inside of the lid as on later Healeys. It's also notably thinner than what is typically sold. I used black household stick-on weatherstrip of the same width, available at your local hardware store, fortifying the cement with 3M black weatherstrip cement (best you can buy). Search online and you'll find photos of the original, shroud-mounted trunk seal!

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Bob,

Thanks for posting.... But what is the body no. stamped on the bonnet?

Cheers,

Curt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links