We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
AHExp

The 100 Forum

Gear lever stuck after removal and reinstall.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

thodav Thomas Davis
Owings Mills, MD, USA   USA
I removed my 1955 BN1 gear shift lever when I pulled my motor and trans and transferred them to my new chassis. The transmission shifted beautifully before I pulled the lever.
I think it was in gear when I pulled the lever BUT I don't remember which gear it was in. Now when I reinstall the shift lever it appears to be stuck in gear and will not shift. It's stuck.
Has anyone had this problem? I'm guessing that it should have been in neutral when I pulled the shift lever. HELP!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, ON, Canada   CAN
Yes, you have pretty much nailed it.
You need to remove the lever again and then use a screwdriver to move the selector cup (socket) into which the end of the lever engages back to the mid position (neutral).
Should be fairly obvious once you take a look.
Once that is achieved the lever will be easy to install in the correct position.

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

thodav Thomas Davis
I see the cup but I'm not able to move the cup. It appears that I pushed the shifter into the forbidden zone, forward and to the right. There's a metal egg-shaped washer intended to prevent the shifter from moving right and forward. I must have removed it with the 3 fasteners and accidentally moved the shifter.
It's in gear now. When I push the clutch the prop shaft rotates and I tried to move the shifter cup with a screw driver while the clutch is pressed with no result.
Is it possible that the shifter was pushed too far in the forward right position and now its stuck?
If I drain the trans oil and remove the shifter control box and side cover would I be able to get everything back to neutral?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, ON, Canada   CAN
Yes, removing the housing and side cover is easy however, reinstalling everything correctly will require care if you have never done it before.
Just keep in mind that when it is all assembled correctly everything will go together easily NEVER use the threads to pull things togetber.
Rough or incorrect assembly can cause serious damage that will require disassembly of the entire gearbox to rectify.

Michael Salter

Tontonene Kip Nienaber
La Pine, OR, USA   USA
I experienced the same condition when replacing my BN-2 gearbox. My solution was to remove the side cover and use my hand to reach into the box and juggle the gear train. This was enough to place the shifter into neutral. If I remember correctly, it took quite a bit of manipulation.
Regards,
Kip

thodav Thomas Davis
Thank you for the help. I truly appreciate your support.

thodav Thomas Davis
Thank you for the information. I’ll post my results.

thodav Thomas Davis
I pulled the side cover off of the trans and what I've found is that the center gear shifter fork is pushed back and I can't seem to get it to move forward to the selector gate which would be neutral. It doesn't appear to be obstructed. I'm guessing its simply pushed too far back.
I don't want to break anything so I'm probably going to dismantle the trans per the service manual.

I noticed that my gearbox doesn't have the 'change speed gate' which I'm guessing would limit the 'shift fork' travel. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

thodav Thomas Davis
It appears as though I accidentally shifted to the (blocked) first gear or the ‘spur gear’ when I removed the shift lever blocking washer. Because my gearbox is missing the ‘shift gate’ the spur gear slid too far which allowed the sprung steel locator balls to escape. One or more of the springs were popped out preventing the ‘spur gear’ from returning to neutral. See Pic
The good news is that I only had to remove the three selector rods and shift forks. I’ll be able to get the sprung balls back in place (hopefully) by using a hose clamp to push the sprung balls into the holes in the second synchronizer then I can slide the spur gear against the clamp and hopefully over the balls.

Attachments:
32131BFC-FE84-4769-8EA7-3F5687CF28D3.jpeg    51.2 KB
32131BFC-FE84-4769-8EA7-3F5687CF28D3.jpeg

thodav Thomas Davis
summary of problem and solution:
Gearbox was stuck in ‘spur’ gear (Unused first gear).
Either
A. the first gear was shifted too far back and the locator balls and springs escaped OR
B. The locator sprung ball in the 1st gear shift fork got stuck in the 3rd (larger) notch in the 1st gear selector rod.
Solution: I removed the selector rods and forks, replaced the 3 first gear locator springs and balls, then reassembled. I used a hose clamp around the wide second synchronizer to hold the steel balls and springs in place then carefully slid first gear over the balls. The hose clamp was loosened all the way and pulled free. This allowed assembly without removal of front main bearing and laygears.
READ THIS PART:
I’m not 100% sure BUT I believe this problem can only occur if the shift gate is removed. Some people (the previous owner of my car) remove the shift gate so that they can use the super low spur gear (unused 1st gear). I do not recommend using the spur gear.
I found and ordered a shift gate for 35 bucks.

Attachments:
EB5843EE-FDB4-4A78-AA5A-ABCCB0A585AF.jpeg    39.1 KB
EB5843EE-FDB4-4A78-AA5A-ABCCB0A585AF.jpeg

Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, ON, Canada   CAN
Yes looking at your picture the "Change Speed Gate" 1B3633 is missing and will indeed cause the problem that you have encountered. It is not necessary to remove the gate to enable 1st gear, all that is required is filing off a small "lug" that blocks the selector.
My present BN1 has a 3.66 : 1 differential which is a huge improvement on modern roads but makes 2nd gear (in the box) too tall for hill starts so I have enabled 1st gear for occasional useby removing the "lug"..
You may find this article about the BN1 gearbox interesting: http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2015/01/30/bn1-gearbox-a-plethora-of-threads/

Michael Salter

thodav Thomas Davis
Transmission is re installed.

Attachments:
8A1D7A45-E137-4EDC-A14C-8AD43B7A129B.jpeg    52.2 KB
8A1D7A45-E137-4EDC-A14C-8AD43B7A129B.jpeg

thodav Thomas Davis
Thanks for the reply.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links